Principal Scientist in Gene Therapy
Date: Jun 19, 2019
Senior/Principal Scientist in Gene Therapy
Location: Braine L'Alleud
UCB aspires to be the patient-centric global biopharmaceutical leader transforming the lives of people living with severe diseases. We focus on central nervous system and immunology disorders. Our promise is to help tackle the serious unmet medical needs affecting patients around the world. We now have an exciting opportunity in New Medicines (our research organization) at our site in Braine L'Alleud Belgium, for a Gene Therapy focused cell biologist in the Neuroscience Discovery group. As part of our continuous evolution we are building a cross-disciplinary gene therapy platform to address neurologic diseases. This is an exciting role for a talented and experienced cell biologist to work within the Neuroscience therapeutic area and engage in breakthrough gene therapy research in a vibrant drug discovery environment - inspired by patients, driven by science.
Senior/Principal Scientist in Gene Therapy, Neuroscience Discovery Biology
We are currently hiring a talented cell biologist in gene therapy to join the Neuroscience Discovery Biology group. The remits of the group include but are not limited to support our pre-clinical CNS small molecule, antibody and gene therapy projects.
The successful candidate will be responsible for the independent development and execution of in vitro cell based assays, biomarker assays and ex vivo downstream assays to provide critical support for novel gene therapy programs. To achieve these goals, the group has access to state-of-the-art equipment and technologies either internally or through international collaborations. The candidate will be lab-based but part of an interdisciplinary team working closely with the in vivo and bioanalysis team to assess potency, efficacy and immunogenicity of AAV based therapies. Scientific and technical leadership and conducting research involving downstream gene therapy assays is an integral part of this position. Experience with biologic and/or gene therapies is strongly preferred.
The candidate must be highly motivated and possess the ability to work productively in a fast-paced environment that requires a high level of communication, organization, and collaboration. The candidate is expected to be experienced in the above techniques, and eager to develop new skills toward answering novel biology questions.
Education & Experience
The ideal candidate will have acquired his/her PhD degree in the field of neurobiology or gene therapy. She/He is able to set-up bespoke cell assays and ex vivo downstream biological assays for novel gene therapy projects. Knowledge in gene therapy for CNS disorders will be considered as additional assets.
Technical Skills & Soft skills
* PhD in neurobiology or gene therapy with proven track record in peer reviewed, high quality scientific journals
* Experience in developing biochemical and cell-based assays in primary neurons or iPSC-derived neurons, introducing agents by viral transduction (AAV or lentiviral)
* Hands-on experience with cell-based assays and read-outs including immunological techniques as flow cytometry, ELISA etc., molecular biology techniques (PCR, RNAseq) or binding assays
* Expertise in ex vivo analysis of tissues, plasma and CSF
* Strong inter-personnel skills, ability to multitask, independently organize time, and plan specifics of work.
* Accurately interpret experimental data, perform statistical analysis, formulate conclusions and communicate data with colleagues and externally
* Inspirational and outstanding scientist with an innovative and entrepreneurial spirit
* A team player and a good networker
* Open and honest with strong, constructive communication and negotiation skills
* Coach and train scientific staff in the use of new technologies
* Represent and promote UCB research activities at internal and external scientific meetings and by publishing studies in peer reviewed journals
* Work proactively across sites and functions and with external parties
To apply please go to www.ucb.com/careers.
Job Segment: Biochemistry, Neurology, Scientific, Immunology, Medical, Engineering, Healthcare, Science