Manager Sustainability Projects in DRC
Supply - EST
Reducing harmful vehicle emissions. Giving new life to used metals. Powering the cars of the future. As a global materials and technology group, we apply our specialist knowledge to offer materials and solutions that are essential to everyday life. We aim to be a clear world leader in materials for clean mobility and recycling and have turned our sustainability approach into an even greater competitive advantage. With ambitions like this, imagine what you could do?
About Cobalt & Specialty Materials
Mastering the cobalt value chain. Umicore's expertise covers the sourcing, production and distribution of cobalt and nickel products. Umicore's materials are at the heart of products we use every day such as rechargeable batteries, tools, paints and tyres. Our recycling and refining processes give new life to cobalt and other metals and reduce environmental impacts. To meet the demands of our customers we cannot stand still. We need to find new ways to do things, discover new solutions and develop new ideas. Which is where you come in.
What you will be doing
As Manager Sustainability Projects you are the project manager for Umicore's social projects in the DRC. You also provide support to the local NGO and you give support and advice to the projects for the development of acceptable criteria for sustainable ASM (Artisanal and Small-scale Mining). In addition you perform supplier audits in the DRC. You are based in Europe (Brussels) but you will be travelling often to the DRC
· You provide project management supervision to our social projects in DRC: the school, the clinic, the agriculture project. You are responsible for the effective implementation and daily management of Umicore's social contribution in the region. The financed school will expand intensively, and it's your responsibility to help the locals and to follow up this extension.
· You give support and development capabilities to the local NGO (EASD).
· You provide support and recommendations for the development of criteria for sustainable ASM and you engage directly in the 'Mutoshi Project'.
· As part of the cobalt framework, you perform audits at suppliers' locations in the DRC, in terms of sustainability.
· You provide support for the Global Battery Alliances local projects in the DRC.
Who we are looking for
* You hold a master's degree and you possess a solid experience with managing complex projects. You have knowledge of what sustainable projects in the DRC can involve.
* You have minimum 5 years of relevant experience with a background in the mining or a related industry (cobalt, gold, …) - preferably in Africa - or in an NGO environment concerning the mining or cobalt industry.
* A strong interest in sustainable topics and social projects is of course a must.
* You are result oriented and you also have excellent interpersonal skills. You work well with different stakeholders (Umicore departments, suppliers, local partners, ...).
* You demonstrate the ability to make critical analyses, to challenge people and to report your findings in a clear way.
* You can set priorities and you work in a mature, autonomous way.
* You are fluent in French and English.
* You are willing to travel regularly and for extended periods to the DRC.
What we offer
We aim to lead the way. Not just for our customers, but for our employees too. That is why we strive to create a collaborative environment in which we can all succeed, and a culture through which we can all share ideas, develop our expertise and advance our careers. As you would expect from a world-leading organisation, we will also reward your contribution with a competitive salary and benefits. With all this and more, imagine what you could do?
If our recycling know-how can recover cobalt from industrial metal scrap, IMAGINE WHAT YOU COULD DO?