Digital Biomarkers Analytics Lead
Date: Jul 9, 2019
Location: Braine L'alleud, Walloon Brabant, BE
UCB is a fast-moving global biopharmaceutical company focused on the discovery and development of innovative medicines and solutions to transform the lives of people living with severe diseases affecting the immune and central nervous systems.
You will be part of a highly motivated, multi-disciplinary team driven by a passion to improve decision making in Drug Discovery and Development by leveraging advanced data science and specifically AI methods. The Data Science Enablement team is part of Data & Translational Sciences, supporting both early and late development projects and with a wide range of expertise such as the analysis / interpretation of -omics datasets, Artificial Intelligence (including Machine Learning), Data Mining and visualization methods.
The advertised role is responsible for developing innovative and sometimes even completely novel AI based solutions in the field of digital biomarkers. Data types of primary relevance include measures from wearable sensors & devices and mobile health applications. Combinations of digital biomarkers with clinical outcome measures, imaging features and potentially also molecular markers are of additional interest.
Candidates must hold a PhD (or have equivalent experience) in computer science / engineering / applied mathematics with skills in the following areas:
* Deep scientific and practical expertise in data science, cumulated over 7-10 years of on-the-job experience, covering a wide spectrum of supervised and unsupervised machine learning methods, including e.g. gradient boosting, Random Forests, variational autoencoders and convolutional neural networks within AI frameworks such as TensorFlow. Additional knowledge of Bayesian Networks and Bayesian learning techniques is a plus.
* General software development skills with good knowledge of relevant scripting and analytics software such as R and Python, expertise in using cloud environments, and technical data management aspects of time series data.
* Specific expertise in biomedical signal processing
* Strong scientific leadership combined with flexibility, genuine intellectual curiosity, ideation and eagerness to contribute are key elements of the position.
* A clear passion to see the results of his work improving the lives of patients
* Good understanding of how clinical trials are run and ability to discuss design of trials where sensors are used to derive digital biomarkers. Face to face experience with patients would be a plus
* Understanding of hardware and medical requirements in clinical-grade health sensors
* Excellent communication skills to ensure alignment between computational and life scientists, physicians as well as management.
* Experience with guiding project teams and supervising younger scientists.
* Is well connected externally, with both the academy and the private sector, where he is recognized as an expert in his field, with a good publication record.
* Helping design clinical studies that deploy wearables to derive digital biomarkers and experimental secondary endpoints
* Establishment of analysis methods (and specifically AI based solutions) for sensor-derived data that have a true impact for the clinical or research project and for our understanding of patients
* Communication of scientific results inside and outside the team with all relevant stakeholders
* Might lead a small team of analysts, either directly or indirectly, that he is able to supervise and develop
* Collaborates effectively with external companies and academic groups to augment UCB capabilities and advance the field in our therapeutics areas.
* Fostering of collaboration and managing of relevant stakeholders (including IT, management, life scientists and physicians) across the entire company within projects
Job Segment: Analytics, Data Analyst, Medical, Engineer, Computer Science, Management, Data, Healthcare, Engineering, Technology