Technician (Networks, Data and Voice)
Technician (Networks, Data and Voice)-190742
NATO Communications and Information Agency (NCI Agency)
Salary (Pay Basis)
: 3,436.63Euro (EUR) Monthly
NATO offers you more than a job. It gives you a mission: building peace and security for one billion people in Europe and North America. The NATO Communications & Information Agency is leading NATO's Digital Endeavour. We are NATO's technology and cyber leaders, helping NATO Nations to communicate and work together in smarter ways. Our work is challenging and meaningful, and you will develop and apply your expertise as part of a dynamic international team of civilian and military professionals. Come and be part of the most successful alliance in history.
NATO Communications and Information Agency (NCI Agency) is looking for a Technician (Network, Data and Voice).
The Director of Service Operation (DSO) is accountable to plan, install, operate and maintain CIS services throughout the allocated Area of Responsibility (AOR), in static NATO Headquarters, Alliance Operations and Missions and Exercises, and supported Organisations. Service Operations are delivered and managed in close coordination with the Directorates of Applications Services, Infrastructure Services, AirC2 Services and BMD Services. DSO and the CSUs receive support from the Agency's Enabler functions (General Services, Human Resources, Finance, and Acquisition).
NCI Agency CIS Support Unit (CSU) Brussels, located in Brussels (BEL) is the primary Information, Communications and Technology (ICT) service provider for 24/7 support to SecGen, the International Staff (IS), the International Military Staff (IMS) and other customers of the NATO Headquarters in Brussels. CSU Brussels enables end-to-end CIS services as it installs, operates, maintains and supports the full range of CIS capabilities during peacetime, crisis and war throughout its allocated Area of Responsibility (AOR) and as otherwise directed.
The Network Management Section (NMS) supports and maintains all Local Area Network Systems (Voice and Data) at NATO HQ and is responsible for VoIP implementations, all active and passive network components of the supported networks. It is NMS who provides network infrastructure for journalists during Ministerial meetings and special events and provides support for Remote Connections to the main networks. A crucial part of the responsibility of this section is the static and mobile remote connectivity of the Secretary General.
Under the direction of Section Head, you will perform duties such as the following:
* Supports integrity of assigned ICT infrastructure (Voice Infrastructure), supports on IT Service Continuity Management (ITSCM), and Business Continuity and Disaster Recovery Plans;
* Maintains liaison with other CSU internal units, Service Lines and other technical organisations;
* Provides support related to local CIS Service provision during the execution phase;
* Supports documentation of the design and configuration of assigned ICT infrastructure (Voice) and the required operating procedures;
* Assist with creation and maintenance of Standard Operating Procedures for current capabilities and modifications, or additions to current capabilities;
* Assists in investigating and proposing long term solutions to encountered equipment and configuration problems;
* Implements procedures, tools and techniques for monitoring and managing the performance of ICT infrastructure (Voice), and provides reports as required;
* Monitors and reports the capacity of the assigned ICT infrastructure (Voice);
* Assists with, and implements, assigned project work packages;
* Keep stock of voice and related network components;
* Escorts and supervises network contractors;
* Works occasionally outside normal working hours and adapts work schedule to political events;
* Coordinates and conducts own work to meet quality targets;
* Supports the resolution of technical issues (Level 1 and Level 2) in a systematic approach;
* Maintains sound knowledge on implemented technologies;
* Seeks recommendations from superiors for technical solutions;
* Deputize for higher grade staff, if required;
* Performs other duties as may be required.
* Vocational training at middle technical level in a relevant discipline (normally 9-12 years of full time education), or equivalent, or good general secondary education (normally 9-12 years of full time education) - and a minimum 3 years of relevant experience;
* At least 3 years extensive and progressive expertise in the duties related to the function of the post;
* Certification of Microsoft Lync or equivalent;
* At least 1 year of experience with operation, deployment and configuration of Unified Communications systems, such as; Microsoft Lync or Microsoft Skype for Business;
* A good knowledge of protocols and standards utilized in VoIP and Unified Communications; SIP, TLS, MGCP, H.323, RTP (incl. G.711, G.729 codecs), and other similar standards;
* Experience in utilizing vendor's toolkits for collection of maintenance data, and ability to analyse them for both service improvement and troubleshooting purposes;
* Experience with device management tools, such as; Microsoft SCOM, HP Network Automation, Solar Winds to monitor devices, and provide reporting and identifying devices that are not functioning properly;
* Working knowledge of TCP/IP protocols;
* A basic, though active, knowledge of recent and current Windows operating systems and common Windows applications, including MS-Office, MS-Outlook, MS-Visio, Adobe, etc.;
* ITIL v3 foundation certificate.
* Certification relevant to network voice support activities;
* Knowledge and experience of installing and maintaining PABX equipment, preferably Alcatel;
* Experience with Active Directory and PKI technologies;
* Experience of preparing technical documentation and Standard Operating Procedures;
* Experience with Voice Session Border Controllers;
* A relevant Microsoft certification;
* Prior experience of working in an international environment comprising both military and civilian elements;
* Knowledge of NATO responsibilities and organization, including ACO and ACT.
* Applying Expertise and Technology - Applies specialist and detailed technical expertise; uses technology to achieve work objectives; develops job knowledge and expertise (theoretical and practical) through continual professional development; demonstrates an understanding of different organisational departments and functions.
* Delivering Results and Meeting Customer Expectations - Focuses on customer needs and satisfaction; sets high standards for quality and quantity; monitors and maintains quality and productivity; works in a systematic, methodical and orderly way; consistently achieves project goals.
* Following Instructions and Procedures - Appropriately follows instructions from others without unnecessarily challenging authority; follows procedures and policies; keeps to schedules; arrives punctually for work and meetings; demonstrates commitment to the organisation; complies with legal obligations and safety requirements of the role.
* Adapting and Responding to Change - Adapts to changing circumstances; tolerates ambiguity; accepts new ideas and change initiatives; adapts interpersonal style to suit different people or situations; shows an interest in new experiences.
* Coping with Pressures and Setbacks - Maintains a positive outlook at work; works productively in a pressurised environment; keeps emotions under control during difficult situations; handles criticism well and learns from it; balances the demands of a work life and a personal life.
Most of the work of the NCI Agency is conducted in the English language, and therefore a thorough knowledge of English, both written and spoken, is essential.
* Occasional business travel to NATO, national (NATO and non-NATO) facilities and between the NCIA offices may be required
* May be required to undertake duty travel to operational theatres inside and outside NATO boundaries.
You are responsible for:
* Liaison with technical teams within the CSU and Service Lines;
* Liaison with L3 support provided by industry;
What do we offer?
* Excellent tax-free salary, including (where eligible) expatriation household and children's allowances and additional privileges for expatriate staff.
* Education allowance for children (where appropriate) and an excellent private health insurance scheme.
* Generous annual leave and home leave (if eligible).
* Retirement Pension Plan.
To learn more about NCI Agency and our work, please visit our website.
The Agency's recruitment team advises you that due to the large volume of applications it receives the screening process may take up to 2 months after closing date. We appreciate your patience.