Power Asset Optimizer
Power Asset Optimizer
Belgium, Brussels, Brussels
Trading / Portfolio management
Global Energy Management
GLO00000600 Requisition #
Global Energy Management (GEM) is one of the global business units of ENGIE. Its mission is to ensure the competitiveness of the local business units of the Group and develop its own franchise through a comprehensive range of services related to energy management.
Within the Power Asset Management (PAM) Division of GEM, the Power Day Ahead (PDA) desk supports a large range of internal and external customers in Central Western Europe (CWE) by providing power asset optimization services.
The Power Day Ahead desk aims at delivering spot value for power assets. To achieve its purpose, PDA is accountable for:
* Optimizing daily (7/7) Engie's asset portfolio (nuclear, thermal, CHP, renewable and pump storage assets) and bidding the power on the day-ahead exchanges of CWE.
* Steering the short term (intra-month) assets production planning, acting as the single point of contact towards local production sites and internal PAM stakeholders.
* Carrying out the costing process and bidding all ancillary service products tendered in CWE.
As Power Asset Optimizer, your role will be to:
* Have a deep understanding of the assets in the portfolio and their specificities, making sure that they are properly modelled across the IT landscape in place.
* Take part in the daily (7/7) asset optimization activity. Prepare the bids for the power exchanges to make an optimal day-ahead planning, ensuring a physical balance. Upon reception of the daily clearing results, prepare and communicate the final production plans to the range of stakeholders involved in the process, notably the Scheduling and Intraday teams and other relevant external parties.
* Ensure at all times the proper capture of positions, a thorough understanding of the P&L of every asset and its transparent reporting.
* Carry out the costing of all ancillary service products tendered by national TSOs in short-term, in compliance with the constraints and availability of the assets and arbitrating against sport market opportunities.
* Coordinating the intra-month asset planning and scheduled outage management.
* Respect the contractual, regulatory and compliance frameworks at all times in order to avoid any penalties.
On top of these activities (and for about 25% of the time), you will contribute to projects around :
* Simplification and automation/digitalization of the desk activities.
* Development of power asset optimization services for third parties.
* Development of Day-Ahead/Intraday optimization strategies.
* Development and maintenance of the IS optimization framework.
* Master's degree in Engineering or any other quantitative discipline (finance, computer science, etc.)
* A structured and analytical personality with a hands-on and positive attitude.
* Good understanding of energy markets. Experience in energy risk management / asset optimization (short to long term) will be valued.
* Good understanding of the economics behind power plants, their technologies and how they are exploited in European power markets.
* Proficiency with IT tools. Experience in coding (e.g. VBA, Python) is an asset.
* Ability to take initiatives and to operate in a demanding and fast changing environment.
* Team player with strong communication skills.
* Fluent in English, French and/or Dutch are a plus.
* Resilient to stress and willingness to take part in a rotating, on-duty shift system (7/7) requiring work over week-ends and bank holidays (generally one weekend every month, with the appropriate compensation).
* A window to short-term power markets and to the day-ahead exchanges in Central-Western Europe.
* The opportunity to optimize power plant portfolios with predominant positions across Europe, and that include state-of-the-art thermal and renewable assets.
* A position to liaise and cooperate with forward and intraday traders, risk officers, forecasters, power dispatchers and plant managers, middle- and back-office counterparts for a complete portfolio optimization experience.
* The means to develop coding skills in languages commonly in use in front operations (e.g. Python, VBA) and other relevant IT skills.
* An intellectually challenging job in a constantly evolving environment.
* Autonomy and possibility to take responsibilities.
The possibility to grow professionally in one of the leading players of the European energy sector.
* Posting Date: Aug 19, 2019
Increase your visibility by updating your profile.
Find your submissions details.