Johnson & Johnson is currently recruiting for the position of Junior Scientific Compute Operations Engineering in the JJTS EMEA Solution Architecture and Software Engineering team. This position will be part of a forward-looking, innovative, and delivery minded team of software professionals that architect and sustain platforms and applications for the pharmaceutical Research and development organization.
This position is for a starter role with ample learning opportunities, with its main focus on maintaining, sustaining and improving a modern technical environment aimed at ML/AI-driven drug development. In this position, you can be part of a larger team, where you have the opportunity to contribute hardening the environment, leverage IAC tools (CHEF, terraform, Kubectl) to manage large environments and clusters at scale using automation.
The candidate is expected to have a generic background in IT, but more importantly is expected to learn and absorb on the job. As the environment is very dynamic this is expected not only during ramp up, but indefinitely. A learning and can-do pragmatic and hands-on attitude are therefor the most core aspects of this profile.
Johnson & Johnson, through its operating companies, is the world's most comprehensive and broadly based manufacturer of health care products, as well as a provider of related services, for the consumer, pharmaceutical, and medical device markets. We strive to provide scientifically sound, high quality products and services to help heal, cure disease, and improve the quality of life of patients and their loved ones.
Thriving on a diverse company culture, celebrating the uniqueness of our employees and committed to inclusion, J&J is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
The selected individual will act as a junior engineer operating in a larger team to sustain and expand a dynamic environment aimed at ML/AI-driven drug discovery, where with due coaching in time responsibility is taken in operations concerning the health, sustainability and security of the platform. The Operations Engineer will be responsible for setup and maintenance of several Kubernetes clusters, their respective hosts, related AWS accounts and overlaying services ranging from functional scope (eg. Jupyter) to non-functional (logging, monitoring stack).
Key responsibilities include but are not limited to:
* OS configuration and maintenance (Debian / RHEL)
* Kubernetes cluster configuration, operation and maintenance
* Automation and documentation (CHEF, kubeYAMLs, dockerfile, terraform)
* Solving daily challenges and structurally solving pertaining problems
* Proposal and implementations of improvements adding to stability or repeatability of the platform
A Masters degree is preferred and a Bachelors degree is required in a field providing sufficiently broad background in IT. The most important aspects a candidate should display are:
* A can-do, proactive and hands-on attitude
* A driven learner, both self-driven online learning as approachable for coaching
* A well-rooted interest in IT and a drive to be active in the field and use it for elegant solutions
* Broad generic background in IT (hardware, OS, network stack, scripting, good software practices, git)
* Basis of OS configurations, best practices with Debian and/or RHEL and interest/willingness to deepdive, learn and improve
* Basis of Kubernetes and containerization and interest/willingness to deepdive, learn and improve
* Basis of Sourcecode management (git), CI/CD pipelines and interest/willingness to deepdive, learn and improve
* Basis of IAC tools (eg. CHEF, Terraform, Fluxcd, ..) and interest/willingness to deepdive, learn and improve
* Basis of Cloud administration (eg. AWS) and interest/willingness to deepdive, learn and improve
* Experience with Agile software development techniques (SCRUM) in a highly regulated setting.
* Open for coaching, on-the-job-learning. Strong learner, besides guided also independently
* not afraid to try hands-on, Google-Test-Learn-repeat
* used to making hands dirty, a self-starter
* better do and demonstrate, than ask for permission attitude
Janssen Pharmaceutica N.V. (7555)