Global Services Engineer - Europe - Belgium-based
Mission-driven LanzaTech is a revolutionary solution to climate change, capturing pollution to clean our skies and oceans and create new high value products for a sustainable future. LanzaTech captures pollution to make fuels and chemicals, including sustainable jet fuel and products you use every day. The technology is like retrofitting a brewery onto an emission source like a steel mill or a landfill site, but instead of using sugars and yeast to make beer, pollution is converted by biology to fuels and chemicals! Imagine a day when your plane is powered by recycled emissions, when your yoga pants started life as pollution from a steel mill. This future is possible using LanzaTech technology.
- 2020 Biofuels Digest #3 Best Company to work for in the Advanced Bioecomony
- 2020 Fast Company World Changing Company
- 2020 CNBC #43 on Top 50 Disrupter Companies list
- 2019 Chicago Innovation Awards Winner
- 2019 Fortune Magazine - Change the World - Companies to watch
- 2019 Kirkpatrick Chemical Engineering Achievement Award
- LanzaTech is committed to Diversity, Equity & Inclusion as part of our mission, culture & core values
LanzaTech is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status.
A role with up to 75% travel, this position includes responsibility for all phases of process design work for commercial projects supporting our customers across various industries. This includes developing heat and weight balances, equipment sizing and specification, and developing PFDs and P&IDs for engineering packages. It also includes working in the field with diverse environments and being part of or leading a start-up team. This role will also provide mentoring to all engineering disciplines assigned to projects.
As part of this role, work will also include working on mobile gas fermentation operations globally, including serving as analytics operator to perform demonstration-scale gas fermentations at industrial sites of potential future customers. The role will involve operating a self-contained mobile gas fermentation apparatus showing gas fermentation compatibility with industrial process gases. Engagements will take place at industrial locations throughout India such as steel mills, chemical plants, or syngas facilities.
These above roles will require a high-level of flexibility, communication, and resourcefulness. There will be an expectation to work weekdays and/or weekends as well as holidays, as needed. Additionally, working independently in a fast-paced, multitasking environment is also required.
Basic Function & Major Activities:
Global Services Engineer:
- Advise and assist on-site on the commissioning of newly constructed plants (including overseeing mechanical completion, leading on punch list requirements and resolution, pre-commissioning, dry, wet & product commissioning, performance testing, and training)
- Troubleshoot routine problems in licensed units
- Prepare training material content for licensees
- Visit licensees (both billable and non-billable) and prepare trip call reports. Communicate while at licensee’s site via electronic site log.
- Prepare Operating Manuals for standard technology projects and review standard design packages for operability. Supervise Operating Manual translation, as required.
- Assist in the creation, maintenance, and approvals of Global Services infrastructure, which includes tools, templates, standards, guidelines, and lessons learned.
- Participate in the following project activities internally and with the licensee:
- P&ID Reviews
- 3-D Model Reviews
- Project Turnover Meeting
- Be proficient in completing all engineering project deliverables for which Global Services is accountable
- Participate in Safety and Quality audits, as assigned
- Prepare Performance Test Plans and tabulate results. Assist in solving all issues that occur during pre-commissioning, startup and performance test.
- Provide quotations for billable projects (post start-up).
- Interact with third parties such as equipment vendors, Engineering, Procurement and Construction (EPC) contractors and industry consultants
- Ensure the highest level of customer satisfaction by:
- Timely communication and responses to licensee issues and requests
- Distributing advisories on proper operation and the advancement of the technology
- Providing lab results and recommendations to customers in a timely manner
- Submit Corrective Action Reports for improvements through corrective or preventive actions
- Interact with internal customers (i.e. Projects, E&D, and Business Development) on customer issues
- Own, maintain, and update Global Services licensee information and communications, as provided in the Customer Database
- Train and certify new Global Service Engineers
- Monitor equipment and performance warranties and guarantees. Report issues to management in a timely manner
- Work with plant operating personnel to troubleshoot plant operation issues
- Develop and share best practices with the engineering and science teams throughout the company
- Assist in training client operations teams onsite to be independent with operations
- Achieve individual performance goals that are assigned by your manager
- Develop preliminary scope and project plan for new bioprocesses projects including estimates for preliminary project costs and benefits
- Integrate LanzaTech fermentation process with supporting technologies to develop a complete technology package
- Accountable for basic engineering packages which includes, but is not limited to:
- Process Flow Diagrams (PFDs)
- Detailed Heat and Weight Balances for new or modified processes
- Process and Instrumentation Diagrams (P&IDs)
- Equipment lists and specifications
- Respond to client needs in a timely manner with technically sound positions
- Utilize specified software, models and LanzaTech proprietary tools to size equipment.
- Validate calculations, heat and weight balances data, equipment sizing and equipment specification information pre-packaged by other Process Engineers.
- Work with plant operating personnel to troubleshoot operation issues.
- Interact with third parties such as equipment vendors, Engineering, Procurement and Construction (EPC) contractors and industry consultants.
- Participate in or lead process HAZOPs and risk identification and mitigation activities.
- Develop and share best practices with the engineering team and throughout the company.
- Prepare accurate calculations, some of which are non-standard.
- Lead in the continuous improvement effort of LanzaTech’s design methodologies and tools to address customers’ needs and the productivity within LanzaTech.
- Provide R&D, sales and Technical Services support, as required.
- Achieve individual performance goals that are assigned by your manager.
Mobile Gas Fermentation Operator:
- Install and operate mobile gas fermentation equipment to perform microbial gas fermentation: CIP, media preparation and other chemical stock solutions, routine sample preparation and analysis, pH probe calibration, prepare tubing assemblies, gas plumbing
- Interact with clients on a technical and scientific level, and engage potential customers to cultivate and inspire working relationships
- Assist in experimental design
- Coordinate fermentation runs and sample analysis with remote staff in Skokie, IL
- Maintain and evaluate fermentation data in database
- Prepare and present results, scientific findings, technical reports, and protocols
- Install and trouble-shoot equipment
- Manage chemicals, consumables, and equipment inventory including stocking and purchase orders
- Maintain safe practices and work environment, and contribute to and adhere to all safety standards and practices
- Achieves individual performance goals that are set by the manager(s).
- Prioritizes, organizes & efficiently completes daily work requirements from ever-changing external and internal customer inquiries and demands
- Prepares accurate calculations, some of which are non-standard, as required and on-time and within budget
- Completes quality checking, as required on customer deliverables and within budget and schedule
- Proactively contributes to the continuous improvement effort of LanzaTech’s document deliverables and process designs
- Bachelor’s degree in Chemical or Mechanical Engineering
- 2+ years of experience in the position offered demonstrated experience with developing basic and detailed design engineering packages
- 2+ years of plant operations and commissioning experience in gas processing, bio-processing, refining, and/or petrochemical sector(s)
- Experience with process simulation and specification of equipment such as reactors, tanks, heat exchangers pumps and vessels
- Ability to gather data, set priorities, and meet deadlines
- Working knowledge of process instrumentation, control valves, and control loops
- Strong leadership, organizational, training and communication (written and oral) skills
- Strong team player
- Self-motivated with the ability to take initiative and work independently or in a team environment
- Ability to and willingness to work with hazardous gases and chemicals
- Exhibit ethical behavior, confidentiality and uphold LanzaTech’s core values
- Up to 75% of global travel is required. Some travel is for extended periods to support projects
- Work at industrial sites for extended durations and unaccompanied
- Site visits in refineries and chemical plants include potential exposure to hazardous chemical and other materials
- Work in environments where heat or noise hazards are present
- Be able to climb equipment ladders up to 50 ft during visits to customer sites; able to enter equipment for inspection; able to use personal protective equipment (PPE)
Powered by JazzHR