Flanders Make is the strategic research centre for the manufacturing industry. Our mission is to strengthen the long-term international competitiveness of the Flemish manufacturing industry. That’s why we work together with SMEs and large companies on pre-competitive, industry-driven technological research, resulting in concrete product and production innovation in the vehicle industry, the manufacturing industry, and production environments.
Because of our unique position between industry and research, our teams combine application and system proficiency with technological and scientific knowledge. We focus on 4 key competences, all based on modelling and virtualization:
1. Sensing, monitoring, control and decision-making for products and production
2. (Co)design and optimization of products and production
3. Motion product specification, architecture, and validation
4. Flexible assembly specification, architecture, and validation
About Flanders Make: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=919KATdIIGk
Description of the job:
With a team of researchers you make technological breakthroughs happen in manufacturing industry.
Take technical lead of innovative projects and ensure industry relevance
As a Technical Project Manager you steer the execution of industry-driven technology research projects.
With a high level view, you:
- take the technical lead and encourage the researchers of several Flanders Make Core Labs to look for new solutions;
- build a collective ambition with all stakeholders for the determined project; relevant user groups (Automotive and Machine Building Companies), and knowledge partners (Research Labs at Partner Universities);
- drive for an excellent execution and lead the project team;
- ensure that project results are relevant for industry and excellent (scientific).
In infrastructure projects you also build up research infrastructure.
“As a technical project manager, you spend time discussing and challenging people. In the project I get really enthusiastic when we are trying different things. I learned never to make conclusions in a premature phase. …I give input to challenge researchers and make sure we are looking beyond the current possibilities.” (Abdel, Technical project manager since 2012 @ Flanders Make)
- A PhD or Master degree in a relevant technical domain;
- At least 5 to 10 years of relevant experience in research and/or on innovative product or production technologies in an academic or industrial context;
- Project management skills;
- The ability to build sustainable relations with different stakeholders;
- Coaching skills for knowledge workers;
- Organizational Sensitivity;
- Good communication skills and flexibility,depending on different team constellations.
“Working together with so many partners (private and academic) keeps your scope quite open. My territory is never narrowed down to one specific technical detail. Before Flanders Make I had some management experience for a supplier to the automotive industry. My knowledge background is electro-mechanical and mechatronics. Today one of my projects is totally out of my own field of expertise, it is about additive manufacturing processes.” (Technical project manager since 2016 @ Flanders Make)
- The opportunity to develop yourself and the project team in a network of top industry players, universities and research institutes;
- An energetic, and challenging working environment;
- A warm and open-minded atmosphere;
- Top colleagues that are expert in their domains opening doors for fruitful collaborations and learning;
- An attractive salary with fringe benefits.
Flanders Make colleagues work together on projects in Belgium at sites Lommel and Leuven (flexible workplace policy). Depending on your place of residence or preference, you can work in either site Lommel or in site Leuven.