Staff Assistant (Admin Support)-180169
Supreme Headquarters Allied Powers Europe
Salary (Pay Basis)
: 3,372.55Euro (EUR) Monthly
SHAPE is looking for a Staff Assistant to serve as the primary point of contact for all administrative issues relating to the Communications Division, the Division's Director, Deputy Director and the Coordination Officer. If you are a self-starter and enjoy working in a multi-tasking, changing environment requiring tact, diplomacy, flexibility, stress tolerance and ability to work long hours when required, this post is for you.
SHAPE, the Supreme Headquarters Allied Powers Europe, is the Strategic Headquarters of Allied Command Operations (ACO), one of the two major military commands of the North Atlantic Treaty Organisation (NATO). ACO safeguards an area extending from the northern tip of Norway to the eastern border of Turkey. This equates to nearly two million square kilometres of land, more than three million square kilometres of sea, and a population of about 320 million people.
Location: Casteau/Mons, 60 Km south of Brussels (Belgium)
Post Context/Post Summary
The Communications Division is responsible for directly supporting SACEUR, the SHAPE Command Group, Allied Command Operations, and deployed NATO commanders and forces with integrated and strategically directed communication guidance and capabilities as it relates to Alliance operations, policy, transformation, exercises and defence planning during peace, crises, and armed conflicts.
POST REPORTS TO:
Staff Officer (Coordination Officer), Post Number OSC UXX 0020, Grade OF-4
The incumbent's duties are:
1. Serve as the primary point of contact for all administrative issues relating to the Communications Division, its Director, Deputy Director and the Coord Officer. As directed by the Divisional Coord Officer, provide administrative support to other areas of the Communications Division and perform other duties as required.
2. Prepare routine correspondence; proof-read memoranda, letters, reports, and other forms of office correspondence in accordance with NATO and SHAPE standards, as required.
3. Ensure proper delivery and receipt of office correspondence through official channels and registries; assess, reproduce and distribute correspondence and documents as required.
4. Place and receive telephone calls and messages; ensures prompt and proper notifications.
5. Provide full administrative support for meetings and VTC's, to include: preparation of support documents, briefings and reference material; coordination of attendance and protocol requirements.
6. Maintain current office calendars for key staff meetings, appointments, official travel requirements, and events relevant to this Headquarters and office personnel.
7. Arrange official travel for Director and Deputy Director, including preparation of travel orders, coordination for transportation, and accommodation bookings; assist in preparation and files travel vouchers for office personnel upon completion of travel.
8. Coordinate Headquarters entry, reception and escort for official visitors to the Communications Division office as required.
9. Maintain office files, forms, publications, rosters and other administrative records; secure classified materials as required.
10. Assist in electronic workflow procedures, including Tasker Tracker and Document Handling System.
11. Assist and advise Divisional personnel on document accountability and destruction. Maintain the Divisional classified document registry, and accounts for all Divisional documents classified NATO Secret or above.
12. Manage the Divisional leave programme.
13. Transcribe command group interviews/news conferences from audiotape for publication on website and distribution to subordinate command PAOs.
14. Perform other duties as assigned by Director Communications Division. Undertake additional duties and assume other responsibilities as directed by the Chain Of Command.
Special Requirements and Additional Duties
The employee may be required to perform a similar range of duties elsewhere within the organisation at the same grade without there being any change to the contract.
He/she may be called upon to perform like duties elsewhere in the Headquarters according to the exigencies of the service. The incumbent of the post may be required to undertake operational deployments and/or TDY assignments both within and outside NATO's boundaries and /or to deploy in support of NATO Exercises.
The work is normally performed in a typical Office environment. Normal Working Conditions apply. The risk of injury is categorised as: No Risk.
1. Professional experience in a clerical/ administrative role in an office setting.
2. Minimum typing speed of 35 wpm using a word processor.
Secondary education and basic training in word processing, public administration, management information systems, business administration or related discipline for specific task related skills, with 3 years experience.
English - SLP 3333 - (Listening, Speaking, Reading and Writing)
French - SLP 2222 - (Listening, Speaking, Reading and Writing)
NOTE: The work both oral and written in this post and in this Headquarters as a whole is conducted mainly in English.
1. AM03B: Management and Administrative Services - Information Management - Records And Document Management.
2. Experience in maintaining records and correspondence.
1. Skilled in English and French punctuation and grammar.
2. Typing speed of 45 wpm using a computer.
3. Previous experience in a military headquarters or international organisation.
1. Basic training in administration/secretarial or related field or related discipline for specific task related skills.
2. 3 years+ experience.
c. Language - N/A
The incumbent must be able to complete day-to day tasks and set task priorities with minimal or no guidance.
Must be able to perform routine through urgent administrative business. Administrative matters are constant, with some requiring handling on short notice.
Attend, as directed, additional training courses relevant to the above-mentioned duties.
The incumbent has regular telephone contact with all levels of the staff at ACO HQ (SHAPE), within ACO and NATO, and MOD Public Affairs officials and international media.
Is the first point of contact for queries (in both English and French) from international media and general public on issues relevant for NATO and ACO. This liaison requires of the incumbent the virtues of great tact, diplomacy and politeness, often under trying circumstances.
The incumbent of the post welcomes international media and other visitors for Communications Director. He/she provides administrative support to participants in conferences hosted by ACO PAO at ACO HQ (SHAPE).
The Communications Director and the Division as a whole, rely heavily upon the incumbent in administrative matters.
The incumbent provides stability, is the link between the Communications Director various sections within the Headquarters, and is the 'backbone' of a smooth running office.
There are no reporting responsibilities.
Duration of contract: Serving staff members will be offered a contract according to the NATO Civilian Personnel Regulations (NCPR). Newly recruited staff will be offered a definite duration contract of three years normally followed by an indefinite duration contract.
Selected candidate should be eligible for obtaining a NATO secret security clearance certificate.
The employment contract of the successful candidate is expected to start as of 1 August 2018.
!!PLEASE READ CAREFULLY!!
HOW TO APPLY FOR A NATO CIVILIAN POST AT SHAPE:
Applications are to be submitted using NATO Talent Acquisition Platform (NTAP) (https://nato.taleo.net/careersection/1/jobsearch.ftl?lang-en). Applications submitted by other means (e.g. mail, e-mail, fax, etc) are not accepted.
NTAP allows adding attachments. A copy of the qualification/certificate covering the highest level of education required by the job description must be provided as an attachment.
Essential information must be included in the application form. Particular attention should be given to Education and Experience section of the application form. Each question should be answered completely. Expressions such as "please see attached CV, please see annex / enclosed document" or invitations to follow links to personal webpages are not acceptable and will be disregarded. All answers should be in English (preferably) or in French.
Shortlisted candidates will be requested to provide original documentary evidence and a set of copies supporting statements in their applications.
Current and past civilians working for NATO or any Coordinated Organization, shall indicate their last grade and step held (next to job title), and specify the name of employing NATO body or Coordinated Organization.
A) Only nationals from the 29 NATO member states can apply for vacancies at SHAPE.
B) Applications are automatically acknowledged within one working day after submission. In the absence of an acknowledgement please make sure the submission process is completed, or, re-submit the application.
C) Qualified redundant staff of the same grade interested in this post should inform this office, via their HR/Personnel Office by not later than vacancy's closing date.
D) Candidates' individual telephone, e-mail or telefax enquiries cannot be dealt with. All candidates will receive an answer indicating the outcome of their application.