SMIT (Studies on Media, Innovation and Technology) is a research center of the Faculty of Social and Economic Sciences at the Vrije Universiteit Brussel. SMIT is also a core research group of imec, Europe's leading research institute on nano-technology and digital innovation.
For more than 25 years, imec-SMIT specializes in economic, living lab and policy research on ICT innovation in Digital Media, Smart Cities and Health. Our team consists of over 70 senior and junior researchers with a wide variety in backgrounds and nationalities.
What you will do
The imec-SMIT Smart Cities Unit is involved in researching and developing methodologies and concepts for analyzing the role technology can play in tackling urban problems. Applying these, we support (local) governments in formulating and executing a vision on the smart city concept, which takes into account the local ecosystem. Working within national and international projects or for individual clients, our goal is to understand how cities can position themselves in this complex environment and focus on their shifting roles and responsibilities. Where possible, we combine qualitative, strategic analysis with quantitative insights.
Task will include
* Researching, developing, executing and disseminating smart city research methodologies;
* Market (desk) research and literature studies, outlining and validating smart city models;
* Working together with Belgian cities in bilateral projects, with specific attention to vision-building and translation into action plans;
* Supporting an open call process in which innovative ideas submitted by cities need to be guided, pooled and supported;
* Supporting the approved projects in this call with vision-building and strategy development;
* Working on national and international research projects related to emerging digital technologies in Smart Cities;
* Developing a concrete service offering towards policy makers and city administrations;
* Publish research results in academic journals and conferences;
What we do for you
* A dynamic and stimulating work environment with enterprising young scientists and experienced senior researchers in an international setting.
* Flexible working conditions with opportunity for personal initiative
* High-quality innovation research on future oriented services
* Attractive remuneration package
* A full time, renewable contract for 1 year and long term career perspectives.
Who you are
* Master's degree in (Applied) Economics, Management, Business Engineering or similar with excellent academic results;
* Experience with consultancy, strategy development or similar;
* Strong interest in and affinity with the domain of Smart Cities;
* Strong interest in digital emerging technologies;
* First experience with Business Modeling theory and practice is a plus;
* Proficiency in qualitative & quantitative research methods or prepared to acquire these skills fast;
* Feeling comfortable in working with (local) government, start-ups, SMEs, innovators and CxOs
* Good time management and planning skills
* Flexible attitude in working on a multitude of projects in a varying environment
* Academic writing skills and fluency in English and Dutch
Please send your CV and motivation letter as soon as possible and before 12 February to Wim Cloots on email@example.com
Apply for this job
Share this on
Follow imec on:
Nederlands | English
CMOS and beyond CMOSImage sensors and vision systemsSilicon photonicsThin-film flexible electronicsLife sciencesWearablesPhotovoltaics
GaNSensor solutions for IoTWireless IoT communicationRadar sensing systemsSolid state batteriesData science and data securityLife sciences 2018
What we offer