Senior Scientist Protein Degradation
Date: Oct 10, 2018
Location: Braine L'alleud, Walloon Brabant, BE
UCB, headquartered in Belgium, is a global biopharmaceutical company focused on the discovery and development of innovative medicines and solutions for people living with severe diseases of the immune system and the central nervous system. With more than 7,500 people in approximately 40 countries, the company generated revenue of € 4.5 billion in 2017. UCB, recently recognised as the best employer at the Cogent Life Science Awards, invests more than 23% of its revenue in R&D. At UCB everything we do starts with a simple question: "How will this make a difference to the lives of people living with severe diseases?" The connection to patients offer new perspectives, drive innovation, and enable us to deliver solutions that are helping to transform their lives.
Within the Global Chemistry department and our chemical research laboratory located in Braine L'Alleud, close to Brussels, we are looking for a (m/f):
Senior Scientist Targeted Protein Degradation Medicinal Chemistry
Job Nature and scope:
We are seeking a highly skilled and talented synthetic organic chemist with knowledge in medicinal chemistry or chemical biology to join a new research group in Braine-l'Alleud, south of Brussels. The new research group will focus on the development of a novel scientific approach to protein degradation and its application to Neurology and Immunology drug targets.
The successful applicant will demonstrate excellent scientific judgement and be a recognised expert in synthetic organic chemistry with a desire to broaden knowledge, learn medicinal chemistry and build awareness of associated disciplines. Successful applicants should also demonstrate evidence of a high level of innovation and creativity in organic chemistry and/or medicinal chemistry.
The key responsibilities are:
* Independently design and execute synthetic routes in a timely manner to drive application of targeted protein degradation technology to therapeutic projects.
* Based on a sounded understanding of medicinal chemistry principles, biology, drug metabolism and pharmacokinetic (DMPK) concepts and data interpretation, provide input to compound design.
* Drive innovation and new technology, bringing in external science and methodology and developing new ways of working internally at UCB.
* Drive own professional development and continuously improve knowledge and skills within chemistry and medicinal chemistry.
* Create effective working relationships within the global chemistry and UCB matrix working environment via influencing and networking
* Contribute to scientific discussions and present data at internal meetings and external scientific conferences
* Contribute to the maintenance of a safe and effective environment by setting high personal standards and complying with all Company HSE codes of practice.
Education, experience and skills:
Senior Scientist level applicants should be able to demonstrate clear examples of significant impact and innovative contributions to the field of synthetic organic and/or medicinal chemistry. Experience in chemical biology is a plus.
The candidate should have a PhD in organic chemistry and a Postdoc in organic chemistry or chemical biology. We would also welcome applicants with industrial experience (at least 2-3 years), and a foundation in a medicinal chemistry environment would be beneficial for applications at the senior scientist level.
Excellent communication skills are essential along with good knowledge of verbal and written English. The candidate should be willing to work in a multidisciplinary environment and operate in a network organization.
Interested individuals should apply online on UCB website and include the following items:
1. A cover letter outlining research interests and experience as well as career goals
2. Curriculum Vitae
3. Three referee names (or reference letters if possible)
4. Expected availability
To apply please go to www.ucb.com/careers .
Discover more about the remarkable UCB Talent Blends and how you can contribute to the mix at www.ucb.com/careers .
Job Segment: Chemistry, Neurology, Scientific, Chemical Research, Immunology, Science, Engineering, Healthcare