Senior Scientist Process Engineering API Small Molecule Development
Locations: Beerse, Belgium
Start a new job search
Apply Get Referred
Requisition ID: 1905740351W
We are looking for a Senior Scientist Process Engineering
Johnson & Johnson is the world's most comprehensive and broadly-based manufacturer of health care products, as well as a provider of related services, for the consumer, pharmaceutical, and medical devices markets. Growing with a diverse company culture, celebrating the uniqueness of our employees, committed to inclusion and proud to be an equal opportunity employer, our over 125,000 employees in 60 countries are united in a common mission: To help people everywhere live longer, healthier, happier lives.
At Janssen, Pharmaceutica Companies of Johnson & Johnson, we focus on treating, curing and preventing some of the most devastating and complex diseases of our time. We discover and develop innovative medical solutions to address important unmet medical needs in oncology, immunology, neuroscience, infectious diseases and vaccines, and cardiovascular and metabolic diseases.
Small Molecule Pharmaceutical Development (SMPD), the CMC organisation (chemistry, manufacturing and control) within Janssen Pharmaceutica N.V., employs hundreds of scientific researchers and specialized technicians. The API Small Molecule Development department (API SM) is responsible for designing processes to supply large quantities of new chemical entities for R&D and commercial purposes. API SM develops practical, efficient, safe, and green chemical processes for drug candidates at all stages of development as well as optimization of existing and second generation commercial process.
The Chemical Technology & Engineering group (T&E), a unit within the API SM, is expanding and looking for chemical process engineers on Several Levels: Scientist, Senior Scientist and Principal Scientist
Responsibilities and duties for the Senior Scientist Process Engineering
* You are playing a key role in the evaluation of the scale up of chemical processes.
* As a member of a cross-functional team (organic chemists, analysts, process safety engineers, purification specialists, pilot plant engineers) you will be responsible for developing a deep understanding of our processes to ensure the highest quality product is manufactured within our API facilities. This includes late stage development, scale-up, new product introductions, and technology transfers, with the aim of delivering robust operational performance and scientific excellence
* You will participate actively in the process design and the experimental work to deliver safe and robust synthesis, reporting progress to your peers, the management and to our customers.
* In your role as senior scientist, you are the representative within the cross-functional team of specific API projects and to deliver state-of-the-art designed processes via PAT-tool, use of experimental "scale-down" models of process unit operations and evaluate process parameters and ranges in lab and pilot plant.
* You will provide guidance to process chemists, set-up the best experimental approach, perform data-analysis, provide training within the department and establish standard methodologies. You will keep up to date with technological developments through literature and scientific forums.
* You hold a PhD Degree in Chemical Engineering or related discipline with at least 3 years' industrial experience in API development or manufacturing or you have a Master Degree in combination with a consistent track record as a Scientist in the specific area of API development
* Expertise and/or strong interest in handling large data sets, artificial intelligence, programming language(s) and machine learning are assets.
* You have deep knowledge of chemical unit operations (isolation, drying, distillation, milling etc.), downscale principles and reaction engineering (kinetics, mixing, heat transfer).
* You are familiar with PAT tools, simulation and modeling software and have keen interest in new developments of chemical technologies.
* You are able to perform experimental studies in the laboratory to construct the digital twins with process meaningful data, originating from PAT-enriched lab setups and parallelized lab systems.
* You have excellent social and communication skills, speaking English fluently and able to learn Dutch.
* An exciting position in an international and dynamic environment with continuous learning and growth opportunities
* An attractive remuneration package with additional benefit packages (for example hospital insurance, and other health care incentives)
* An inclusive team environment where diversity and different opinions are respected and valued, and the importance of a good work-life balance is recognized.