NATO Communications and Information Agency (NCI Agency)
Salary (Pay Basis)
: 4,297.62Euro (EUR) Monthly
Do you have experience of assisting in providing remote Level 1, 2 and 3 support for Wide Area Networking (WAN) and/or transmission infrastructure (TI) related activities? Do you have experience of performing remote on-line network management to cover fault, performance, accounting, configuration and security management of WAN related services utilizing such technologies as OSPF, ISIS, IP/MPLS?
Do you have experience in delivering new capabilities (systems and services) and implement new technologies as part of work packages under project management delivery?
The NATO Communications and Information Agency (NCI Agency) is currently looking for a Principal Technician NATO Security Investment Program (NSIP) (Transmission) to work within our Directorate of Infrastructure Services.
The NCI Agency has been established with a view to meeting to the best advantage the collective requirements of some or all NATO nations in the fields of capability delivery and service provision related to Consultation, Command & Control as well as Communications (C4), Information and Cyber Defence functions
The NCI Agency Director of DIS is accountable for the effective and efficient provision of Communications and information Services (CIS) Infrastructures, and associated Enterprise-wide ICT Services through lifecycle support delivered to the Customer within time, cost and quality parameters and the requirements specified in SLAs.
The Network Services and IT Infrastructure Service Line Chief is accountable and responsible to the DIS for planning and executing all lifecycle management activities for Network services and IT Infrastructure services (strategy, design, transition, operation and continuous service improvement including subject matter expertise, research and development, acquisition and logistic support) in the assigned C4 technical service areas.
Under the direction of the Transmission Infrastructure Services Senior Engineer, and mainly under your own initiative, you will be performing the following duties:
* Assist in providing remote Level 1, 2 and 3 support for WAN and/or TI related activities;
* Assist in performing remote on-line network management to cover fault, performance, accounting, configuration and security management of WAN and/or TI related services;
* Assisting engineering networking interconnections through smart intelligent multiplexes and various data switching and routing equipment, and terminating equipment including modem and cryptographic equipment as part of services and project execution and early life support;
* Assist with evaluation of incident reports and trend analysis of the assigned systems and services and their associated networks in line with IT service management (ITSM);
* Propose, prepare, verify, and maintain services and systems documentation as part of services and project activities; this is to include operational advice notices, Level 1/2/3 documentation, system / equipment configuration templates, changes, and scripts accounting for interface standards and procedures as requested and upon each and every change, delivering as well enhancement suggestions and Engineering Change Proposals (ECP);
* Assist in technical reviews to ensure implementation of projects comply with Technical Architecture (TA) for both static and deployable services, as well as to the delivery of Proof of Concept (POC) and System/Services Acceptance tests for new designs and solutions within area of expertise;
* Assist in drafting of technical documentation to contribute to creation and improvement of methods, procedures and tools in relation to managed services provisioning and design for both NGCS and DCIS managed systems and services;
* Liaise and collaborate both internally to NCI Agency and externally with services providers and vendors in support of services and projects delivery;
* When required, conducts on-site surveys, validations and system acceptance testing within the supporting services area;
* Maintain up-to-date own knowledge and competencies, both at technical and soft skills level, by continuously following technology and industry trends and best practices and supporting this with relevant industry recognized professional certification;
* Deputize for higher grade staff, if required;
* Performs other duties as may be required.
Vocational training at a higher level in a relevant discipline or equivalent combination of qualifications and experience, with at least 8 years of relevant experience.
Demonstrated knowledge and experience equivalent to industry professional certification such as CCNA, NRS I. Valid/active certification is considered an asset and it will be required to be achieved and maintained by the incumbent of the position.
If you hold an ITILv3 Foundation, training/certification, it will be considered an asset.
To be suitable for this position, we are looking for you to have experience in the areas outlined below:
* Minimum three years' experience with and in-depth knowledge of Local Area Networks/Wide Area Networks (LAN/WAN)/Telco provider networks and services delivery based on Alcatel- Lucent/NOKIA Service and/or Cisco routers and switches;
* Minimum three years proven track record of working within a team of engineering and operations staff to achieve system performance objectives;
* Ability to analyze for both service improvement and troubleshooting purposes;
* Minimum three years' experience with the configuration and operation element management, network monitoring and event management tools such as HP Network Automation, Intermapper, Alcatel-Lucent/NOKIA 5620 SAM, Cisco ACS, NOKIA Service Portal, Kiwi Syslog, Splunk;
* Good knowledge of ICT Systems Engineering and the associated aspects of design, operations, administrations and maintenance, to include networks, interfaces, applications and protocols covering modern communications systems based on IP/MPLS, Dense Wavelength Division Multiplexing (DWDM), as well as legacy and TDM technology;
* Practical experience in ICT systems and services delivery, to include but not limited to: high and low level designs, technical and functional solution evaluation, testing, implementation, transition, continuous services improvement, and Service Level Agreement (SLA) based delivery;
* One, or more, years' experience in on-line performance, accounting, fault, security and configuration management of smart intelligent multiplexes and various data switching and routing equipment, and terminating equipment.
It is highly desirable if you can display:
* Knowledge and experience on SDN/NFV, cloud based solutions;
* Professional experience in customer support, user incident handling, and of ITSM principles and practices by applying a standardized framework;
* Prior experience of working in an international environment comprising both military and civilian elements;
* Knowledge of NATO responsibilities and organization, including Allied Command Operations and Allied Command Transformation.
Applying Expertise and Technology - Applies specialist and detailed technical expertise; uses technology to achieve work objectives; develops job knowledge and expertise (theoretical and practical) through continual professional development; demonstrates an understanding of different organisational departments and functions.
Analyzing - Analyses numerical data and all other sources of information, to break them into component parts, patterns and relationships; probes for further information or greater understanding of a problem; makes rational judgements from the available information and analysis; demonstrates an understanding of how one issue may be a part of a much larger system.
Relating and Networking - Easily establishes good relationships with customers and staff; relates well to people at all levels; builds wide and effective networks of contacts; uses humor appropriately to bring warmth to relationships with others.
Planning and Organizing - Sets clearly defined objectives; plans activities and projects well in advance and takes account of possible changing circumstances; identifies and organizes resources needed to accomplish tasks; manages time effectively; monitors performance against deadlines and milestones.
Adapting and Responding to Change - Adapts to changing circumstances; tolerates ambiguity; accepts new ideas and change initiatives; adapts interpersonal style to suit different people or situations; shows an interest in new experiences.
Coping with Pressures and Setbacks - Maintains a positive outlook at work; works productively in a pressurized environment; keeps emotions under control during difficult situations; handles criticism well and learns from it; balances the demands of a work life and a personal life.
A thorough knowledge of one of the two NATO languages, both written and spoken, is essential and some knowledge of the other is desirable.
NOTE: Most of the work of the NCI Agency is conducted in the English language.
Business travel to NATO and national (NATO and non-NATO) facilities as well as frequent travel between the NCIA offices;
May be required to undertake duty travel to operational theatres inside and outside NATO boundaries.
NCI Agency normally offers contracts of employment of a definite duration, not exceeding three years. Contracts may be for less than three years as required to support short-term projects, meet uncertainty with respect to the business outlook, staff performance and other factors.
Definite duration contracts may be extended for further periods. When extending contracts, the following is taken into consideration:
* Renewal is in the interest of the Agency.
* Staff member's desire to remain with the Agency.
* The financial situation provides sufficient funding for the post held.
* The skills, competencies and behaviours, potential and work experience of the staff, versus the requirements of the Agency's work and/or availability of funding.
* Staff member has served the Agency with performance to the required standard as defined by the Agency,
* Staff member's deployability to operational theatre.
Serving civilian members of NATO will be offered a contract in accordance with the NATO Civilian Personnel Regulations.
The first six months of definite duration contracts are a probationary period. During this period the staff member's work is assessed to ensure that he/she has the ability to carry out the duties of the post. At or before the end of the probationary period, the staff member will be notified in writing that the appointment is confirmed or terminated or, in exceptional cases, that the probationary period is extended.
What do we offer?
* Excellent tax-free salary, including (where eligible) expatriation household and children's allowances and additional privileges for expatriate staff.
* Education allowance for children (where appropriate) and an excellent private health insurance scheme;
* Generous annual leave and home leave (if eligible).
* Retirement Pension Plan
To learn more about NCI Agency and our work, please visit our website.
Please note that due to the Agency's transition into a new structure in the near future, this post may be subject to transfer to one of our other locations, as well as to a change of reporting lines. The final decision will be made at the time of a firm offer.
The Agency's recruitment team advises you that due to the large volume of applications it receives the screening process may take up to 2 months after closing date. We appreciate your patience.
The published job description represents a highlight from the internal job description, adapted for advertisement and recruitment purposes.