Senior Engineer (Transmission)-180077
NATO Communications and Information Agency (NCI Agency)
Salary (Pay Basis)
: 6,620.31Euro (EUR) Monthly
Do you have in-depth knowledge of Local Area Networks/Wide Area Networks (LAN/WAN)/Telco provider networks and services delivery based on Alcatel- Lucent/NOKIA Service and Service Access Routers (SR/SAR) and Cisco routers and switches?
Do you have proven track record of collaboration with vendors, resident engineering and operations staff to achieve system performance objectives? Do you have experience in leading technical teams to deliver new capabilities (systems and services) and implement new technologies as part of work packages under project management delivery?
The NATO Communications and Information Agency (NCI Agency) are currently looking for a Senior Engineer (Transmission) to work within our Directorate of Infrastructure Services (DIS).
The NCI Agency has been established with a view to meeting to the best advantage the collective requirements of some or all NATO nations in the fields of capability delivery and service provision related to Consultation, Command & Control as well as Communications (C4), Information and Cyber Defence functions
The NCI Agency Director of DIS (DDIS) is accountable for the effective and efficient provision of Communication and Information Services (CIS) Infrastructures, and associated Enterprise-wide Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) Services through lifecycle support delivered to the Customer within time, cost and quality parameters and the requirements specified in Service Level Agreements (SLAs).
The Network Services and IT Infrastructure Service Line Chief is accountable and responsible to the DIS for planning and executing all lifecycle management activities for Network services and IT Infrastructure services (strategy, design, transition, operation and continuous service improvement including subject matter expertise, research and development, acquisition and logistic support) in the assigned C4 technical service areas.
Under the direction of the Transmission Infrastructure Services Manager, and mainly under your own initiative, you will be performing the following duties:
· Articulate, verbally and in writing, expert designs, ideas, concepts and solutions to the team, peers and customers;
· Responsible for ensuring the team delivers 3rd level services for Operations, Exercises and the Static Transmission Infrastructure for NATO Security Investment Program (NSIP) activities;
· Direct the delivery of 3rd level technical transmission related support to Operations, Exercises and the Static Infrastructures within the NSIP Programmes and Projects;
· Direct remote fault diagnosis at Operational, Exercises & other NATO sites, during installation and early life cycle support of NSIP capabilities;
· Direct and carries out remote routine transmission maintenance of Operations, Exercises and the Static infrastructures, management appliances and other NATO transmission equipment in line with the requirements of NSIP;
· Ensure that any changes are reflected within the system documentation of existing capabilities if influenced by NSIP project activities;
· Direct the work undertaken by his technician and site technician;
· Advise customer sites with regards to transmission infrastructure elements centralisation, standardization and best practices;
· Ensure the creation and maintenance of Standard Operating Procedures within the Transmission cell as part of NSIP modifications or additions to current capabilities;
· Coordination, and performance, of configuration, and evaluation, of test scenarios within the NATO General Communication System (NGCS) Reference Facility, pertinent to the area of transmission infrastructure that is the focus of the upcoming capabilities;
· Oversee the practical evaluation of management tools and capabilities;
· Ensure a common understanding of the available toolsets and method of utilization within the centralized and distributed user base;
· Investigate and propose long term solutions to encountered equipment and configuration problems;
· When required, conduct on-site surveys, validations and system acceptance testing within the transmission infrastructure;
· Deputize for higher grade staff, if required;
· Performs other duties as may be required.
You need to hold a Master of Science (MSc) degree at a nationally recognized/certified University in a related discipline with 5 years post related experience; or a Bachelor of Science (BSc) degree at a nationally recognized/certified University in a related subject with 7 years post related experience. Exceptionally, the lack of a degree may be compensated by a lower academic qualification combined with the demonstration of particular abilities or experience of relevance to this post, or with a military experience in a related subject.
In addition, you must hold:
* Alcatel-Lucent/NOKIA Network Routing Specialist II (NRS II) or higher certification
* Certified Networking Professional (CCNP) routing and switching or higher certification
If you hold an ITILv3 Foundation, training/certification, it will be considered an asset.
In addition to at least 5 years of relevant experience, you will need to have:
· Minimum four (4) years' experience with and in-depth knowledge of Local Area Networks/Wide Area Networks (LAN/WAN)/Telco provider networks and services delivery based on Alcatel- Lucent/NOKIA Service and Service Access Routers (SR/SAR) and Cisco routers and switches;
· Minimum four (4) years proven track of collaboration with vendors, resident engineering and operations staff to achieve system performance objectives by utilizing vendor's toolkits for collection of maintenance data, and ability to analyze them for both service improvement and troubleshooting purposes;
· Minimum four (4) years' experience with the configuration and operation element management, network monitoring and event management tools such as HP Network Automation, Intermapper, Alcatel-Lucent/NOKIA 5620 SAM, Cisco ACS, NOKIA Service Portal, Kiwi Syslog, Splunk;
· Very good knowledge of ICT Systems Engineering and the associated aspects of design, operations, administrations and maintenance, to include networks, interfaces, applications and protocols covering modern communications systems based on IP/MPLS, Dense Wavelength Division Multiplexing (DWDM) as well as legacy and TDM technology;
· Practical experience in ICT systems and services delivery, to include but not limited to: high and low level designs, technical and functional solution evaluation, testing, implementation, transition, continuous services improvement, and Service Level Agreement (SLA) based delivery;
· One, or more, years' experience in on-line performance, accounting, fault, security and configuration management of smart intelligent multiplexes and various data switching and routing equipment, and terminating equipment including modem and cryptographic equipment
It is highly desirable if you can display:
· Field experience and knowledge related to RAD Megaplex family of products and management tools
· Knowledge and experience on Software Defined Networks (SDN)/Network Functions Virtualization (NFV), cloud based solutions;
· Professional experience in customer support, user incident handling, and of ITSM principles and practices by applying a standardised framework;
· Prior experience of working in an international environment comprising both military and civilian elements;
· Knowledge of NATO responsibilities and organization, including Allied Command Operations and Allied Command Transformation.
Persuading and Influencing - Gains clear agreement and commitment from others by persuading, convincing and negotiating; makes effective use of political processes to influence and persuade others; promotes ideas on behalf of oneself or others; makes a strong personal impact on others; takes care to manage one's impression on others.
Working with People - Shows respect for the views and contributions of other team members; shows empathy; listens, supports and cares for others; consults others and shares information and expertise with them; builds team spirit and reconciles conflict; adapts to the team and fits in well.
Applying Expertise and Technology - Applies specialist and detailed technical expertise; uses technology to achieve work objectives; develops job knowledge and expertise (theoretical and practical) through continual professional development; demonstrates an understanding of different organisational departments and functions.
Adapting and Responding to Change - Adapts to changing circumstances; tolerates ambiguity; accepts new ideas and change initiatives; adapts interpersonal style to suit different people or situations; shows an interest in new experiences.
Coping with Pressures and Setbacks - Maintains a positive outlook at work; works productively in a pressurized environment; keeps emotions under control during difficult situations; handles criticism well and learns from it; balances the demands of a work life and a personal life.
A thorough knowledge of one of the two NATO languages, both written and spoken, is essential and some knowledge of the other is desirable.
NOTE: Most of the work of the NCI Agency is conducted in the English language.
Business travel to NATO and national (NATO and non-NATO) facilities as well as frequent travel between the NCIA offices;
May be required to undertake duty travel to operational theatres inside and outside NATO boundaries.
NCI Agency normally offers contracts of employment of a definite duration, not exceeding three years. Contracts may be for less than three years as required to support short-term projects, meet uncertainty with respect to the business outlook, staff performance and other factors.
Definite duration contracts may be extended for further periods. When extending contracts, the following is taken into consideration:
* Renewal is in the interest of the Agency.
* Staff member's desire to remain with the Agency.
* The financial situation provides sufficient funding for the post held.
* The skills, competencies and behaviours, potential and work experience of the staff, versus the requirements of the Agency's work and/or availability of funding.
* Staff member has served the Agency with performance to the required standard as defined by the Agency,
* Staff member's deployability to operational theatre.
Serving civilian members of NATO will be offered a contract in accordance with the NATO Civilian Personnel Regulations.
The first six months of definite duration contracts are a probationary period. During this period the staff member's work is assessed to ensure that he/she has the ability to carry out the duties of the post. At or before the end of the probationary period, the staff member will be notified in writing that the appointment is confirmed or terminated or, in exceptional cases, that the probationary period is extended.
What do we offer?
* Excellent tax-free salary, including (where eligible) expatriation household and children's allowances and additional privileges for expatriate staff.
* Education allowance for children (where appropriate) and an excellent private health insurance scheme;
* Generous annual leave and home leave (if eligible).
* Retirement Pension Plan
To learn more about NCI Agency and our work, please visit our website.
Please note that due to the Agency's transition into a new structure in the near future, this post may be subject to transfer to one of our other locations, as well as to a change of reporting lines. The final decision will be made at the time of a firm offer.
The Agency's recruitment team advises you that due to the large volume of applications it receives the screening process may take up to 2 months after closing date. We appreciate your patience.