Section Head (Strategy & Policy)-190697
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY ORGANIZATION (STO)
Salary (Pay Basis)
: 9,079.00Euro (EUR) Monthly
The mission of the NATO Science and Technology Organization (STO) is to help position the Nations and NATO's S&T investments as a strategic enabler of the knowledge and technical advantage for the defence and security posture of NATO Nations and partner Nations.
As described in the STO Charter, the Office of the Chief Scientist (OCS) is one of the executive bodies of the STO. The Specific functions of the OCS are to provide executive and administrative support to the Chief Scientist is his/her roles as chairperson of the STB and as the senior scientific advisor to NATO leadership.
The Section Head (Strategy & Policy) provides the primary support to the Chief Scientist in his/her role of STB Chairperson.
2. QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE ESSENTIAL QUALIFICATIONS: PROFESSIONAL / EXPERIENCE
* Broad and in depth knowledge of Science and Technology / Research and Development organisations.
* Broad and in depth knowledge of strategic planning concepts and methods
* Broad and in depth knowledge of Science and Technology / Research and Development programmes and activities within NATO member states' S&T communities.
* Broad knowledge of how military technology is developed and deployed.
* Practical experience in the conduct of international relations and demonstrated ability to work effectively in an international environment with scientific and military personnel at all levels.
* A significant previous experience, minimum 7 years, of working in a Science & Technology environment in different roles.
* The incumbent is expected to have 3-year experience in working in an international environment having demonstrated the capability of working in a multinational and multicultural environment with scientific and military personnel at all levels This pertains in particular to NATO or comparable organizations.
EDUCATION / TRAINING
* A state or university degree in a scientific domain of interest to defence and/or security. Exceptionally, the lack of a university degree may be compensated by the demonstration of particular abilities or experience of interest to the Alliance.
* Must have sufficient job experience in the same or related career field at various levels of responsibility.
* The incumbent must possess the following minimum levels of NATO's official languages (English/French): V ("Advanced") in English; and I ("Beginner") in French. The work in the STO is mainly conducted in the English language.
* Higher level (II or above) of French and/or knowledge of other NATO Nations' language(s) is considered as an asset.
STANDARD AUTOMATED DATA PROCESSING (ADP) KNOWLEDGE
Working knowledge of office word processing, spreadsheet, graphics presentations and database software.
* Sound practical management experience in planning, programming and budgeting.
* Proven skills in leadership, conflict resolution, negotiating, chairing meetings, authorship of clear and concise documents, giving effective presentations, and training of subordinates.
* Experience in supervising Staff.
* A post-graduate degree or equivalent training.
3. MAIN ACCOUNTABILITIES
The role of the Section Head (Strategy & Policy) is essential in the smooth operations of Science and Technology Board, as main support to the Chief Scientist with regard to S&T Priorities and S&T Strategy. He/She also has a central function in the unified governance of NATO S&T through the development of NATO S&T Policies and Directives.
The Section Head (Strategy & Policy) is responsible for providing assistance to the Chief Scientist in developing, updating and implementing S&T policies and NATO S&T priorities.
He/she is responsible for the overall management of processes supporting the implementation and maintenance of all S&T strategic initiatives sponsored by the STO.
The post-holder assumes a leading role in:
* Developing, maintaining and implementing policy documents related to NATO S&T and S&T priorities;
* Performing the Strategic Assessment of the STO.
He/she is responsible for developing direction and guidance for the operations of the STO Executive Bodies in compliance with the NATO Corporate governance principles.
He/she participates as STO member of any Strategic Command Task Group to assess/review long term capability requirements in terms of technology implications.
He/She Sets a strategic vision and establishes challenging objectives; translates vision into policy and organizes the conditions to achieve objectives with due consideration to evolving environments.
He/She Communicates complex concepts, strategies and policies clearly and concisely; targeting a broad audience.
Performing other related functions, as directed by the Chief Scientist.
* Interacts daily with the Chief Scientist and other Staff Members in the Office of the Chief
* Scientist, who are international military personnel or NATO International Civilians.
* Deals with high level scientists, engineers, national government representatives, and military personnel.
* Co-ordinates activities with Members of the Science and Technology Board, national
* Co-ordinators, Panel Chairmen and Directors and Staff of the STO executive bodies.
* Change leadership
* Conceptual thinking
* Developing others
* Impact and influence
* Organizational awareness
* Self Control
Contract to be offered to the successful applicant (if non-seconded): Definite duration contract of three years; possibility of renewal for up to three years.
Contract clause applicable:
This is a post for which turnover is desirable for political reasons, the maximum period of service foreseen in this post is six years. The successful applicant will be offered a three-year definite duration contract, which may be renewed for a further three-year period.
However, the incumbent, if non-seconded, may apply for conversion to an indefinite duration contract during the period of renewal and no later than one year before the end of the contract.
If the successful applicant is seconded from the national administration of one of NATO's
member States, a 3-year definite duration contract will be offered, which may be renewed for a further period of up to 3 years subject also to the agreement of the national authority concerned.
Serving staff will be offered a contract in accordance with the NATO Civilian Personnel Regulations.
7. HOW TO APPLY:
Applications must be submitted using one of the following links, as applicable:
* For NATO civilian staff members only: please apply via the internal recruitment portal
(for more information, please contact your local Civilian HR Manager);
* For all other applications: www.nato.int/recruitment
Due to the broad interest in NATO and the large number of potential candidates, telephone or e-mail enquiries cannot be dealt with.
Appointment will be subject to receipt of a security clearance (provided by the national Authorities of the selected candidate) and approval of the candidate's medical file by the NATO Medical Adviser.
Applicants who are not successful in this competition may be offered an appointment to another post of a similar nature, albeit at the same or a lower grade, provided they meet the necessary requirements.
Please note that we can only accept applications from nationals of NATO member countries. NATO as an employer values diverse backgrounds and perspectives and is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse and talented workforce. NATO welcomes applications of nationals from all Member States and strongly encourages women to apply.
Please note that the International Staff at NATO Headquarters in Brussels, Belgium is a non-smoking environment.