Scientist Computational Chemistry
Locations: Beerse, Belgium
Start a new job search
Apply Get Referred
Requisition ID: 1905714958W
Janssen Research & Development seeks to drive innovation and deliver transformational medicines for the treatment of diseases in six therapeutic areas: neuroscience, cardiovascular diseases and metabolism, infectious diseases, immunology, oncology and pulmonary hypertension. In these areas, Janssen aims to address and solve unmet medical needs through the development of small and large molecules, as well as vaccines. The Janssen campus in Beerse (Belgium) has a unique ecosystem covering the complete drug development life cycle, with all capabilities from basic science to market access on one campus. The integrated environment of our campus gives our people the chance to experience many different aspects of drug development throughout their career. It has a successful track record of over sixty years of drug discovery and development and is one of the most important innovation engines of the Janssen group worldwide.
Developing innovative therapeutics to treat diseases like Alzheimer's disease, various types of cancers and infectious diseases like Hepatitis B, influenza is our passion. In this endeavor, we are seeking to recruit new talent for the comprehensive analyses of high-dimensional datasets using state-of-the-art data science methods applied to drug discovery programs. The position will be opened on the Beerse campus, which is the flagship R&D center for small molecules within Janssen, investing over 1 billion euros each year in R&D.
For this organization we are looking for a highly skilled and motivated computational chemist for the position of Scientist or Senior Scientist, Computational Chemistry, at our Beerse, Belgium site. The (Senior) Scientist will use machine learning and structure-based computational methods in small molecule drug discovery projects in close partnership with Therapeutic and Functional Areas. A key aspect will be to apply and test new science originating from expert internal and external sources to internal projects. Responsibilities of the (Senior) Scientist will include:
* Develop and execute clear computational strategies to design complex molecules and predict their properties using state-of-the-art machine learning and structure-based methodologies.
* Work In close collaboration with our Computational Sciences group to implement and apply machine learning technologies to small molecule drug discovery
* Participate in shaping and implementing structure-based strategies that support efficient drug discovery at Janssen, including advanced molecular dynamics and free energy methods, investigate the opportunities of combining structure-based and machine learning methods
* Play a leading role in collaborations with industry and academic partners and help the integration of new science to internal project applications
* Ensure optimal interaction/communication and provide updates on project status to discovery leadership
* A PhD in computational chemistry or a related field with 2 years of experience applying computational chemistry in a drug discovery setting is required
* Expertise in applying machine learning and advanced structure-based methods such as molecular dynamics or free energy methods to drug discovery
* Experience in working in industry-academic collaborations
* Postdoctoral experience and/or experience in the biopharmaceutical industry is preferred
* Strong problem-solving skills for developing creative, innovative solutions, and meeting project objectives are required
* Demonstrated influence, negotiation, and conflict resolution skills, including the ability to succeed within a matrix environment are required
* Strong track record of scientific contributions including peer reviewed first-author publications and presentations at major national meetings is required
* Familiarity with standard computational chemistry packages (for example, Maestro/Schrodinger, MOE/Chemical Computing Group, and/or OpenEye tools) is expected.
* A basic understanding of medicinal chemistry principals and concepts that are applied in drug discovery
* Up to 10% travel both domestically and internationally is required
Janssen Pharmaceutica N.V. (7555)