Research Manager position for the Laboratory of Gene Technology
The Biosystems Department investigates the interaction between biological systems (micro-organism, plant, animal, human) and their natural and technological context. This with the goal to realize a sustainable process control of biological systems in their natural environment. It aims at exploiting this knowledge through applications in several areas of life sciences with industrial and social relevance. The Laboratory of Gene Technology headed by prof. Rob Lavigne has a vacancy for a fulltime Research Manager (m/f), which will engage in the ongoing activities of the group working in the field of bacteriophage therapy and biocontrol.
* Initializing and obtaining research projects - the successful applicant will detect opportunities for obtaining research projects by building up knowledge on (inter)national research programs, will consult with partners on approach, planning and division of roles and will take a leading role in writing project applications
* Coordinating and supporting ongoing research projects and activities within the research unit - the successful applicant will discuss the progress of the ongoing projects with the researchers within and outside the research unit, will report results and progress achieved in these research projects, will take part in supervising publishing of the research results in international reputable scientific journals, will follow up all relevant internal and external developments in the relevant research fields
* People management - the successful applicant will actively participate in day-to-day coaching as well as supporting and motivating co-workers in the research unit (PhD students and lab assistants), will participate in evaluating and recruiting new scientific staff (PhD students and lab assistants) by mapping the needed expertise with respect to different research projects and activities, will contribute to creating a good work climate that stimulates creativity and innovative research
* Valorization of research results - the successful applicant will help in creating awareness of valorization opportunities for the ongoing research
* Networking and dissemination - the successful applicant will work on developing a network relevant for the expertise of the research unit by looking for the opportunities in the area of the unit's research interest and will add to the visibility of the research unit by participating and presenting in the (inter)national conferences/meetings/seminars, by organizing the (inter)national conferences/meetings/seminars and by supervising publishing of research results in international reputable scientific journals.
* PhD in Bioscience Engineering with a track record of relevant phage research output
* Preferably 10 years of relevant research experience
* Profound knowledge of bacteriophage therapy and biocontrol
* Experience with writing grant proposals (national, regional, EU)
* Experience in managing and coordinating complex research projects between several units within and outside the organization (scientific, people and operational management as well as reporting)
* Experience with working within large academic and industrial consortia
* Experience with industrial agreements (contract research, licensing agreement, ...)
* Experience with presenting results and reports to third parties (companies, at conferences)
* Experience with people management (managing different researchers at the same time as well as managing partners within and outside the organization)
* Experience in networking for bringing different parties together to respond to the opportunities in the relevant field (preferentially, the candidate has already a broad international network in the relevant research field)
* Experience in financial management of national, regional, EU projects is considered an asset
* Fluent in English (both spoken and written)
* Fluent in Dutch, OR willingness to learn Dutch (language courses are provided by the university)
An exciting and challenging job, focused on continuous innovation and development in a transdisciplinary and international context. We offer a fulltime position as Research Manager.
KU Leuven - Universiteit