Research Expert Secure Systems Software
DistriNet (Department of Computer Science, within the Group Science and Technology) seeks to expand its team with a research expert who will focus on a broad range of challenges in secure systems software with an emphasis on new security architectures for system software on the one hand, and on the verification, attestation and assurance of the security aspects of such systems on the other hand. Strategic research that is proposed and managed by the candidate will be oriented towards practical applications in various contexts, such as server-based systems in the cloud, secure storage systems, etc. DistriNet is an international research group with 12 professors, a business office, 5 research managers, 3 research experts, 12 PostDocs and about 50 researchers, a majority being PhD Students. The extensive expertise of DistriNet focuses on two key research domains: Distributed Systems and Secure Software. Research on software engineering techniques is performed in both domains. Embedded in
the department of Computer Science of the KU Leuven,DistriNet is a research group of the Flemish Strategic Research institute imec .
The research expert secure systems software will further extend DistriNet's research at an international level in the domain of software security, with a focus on system software. More specifically this includes the following responsibilities:
* You follow and assess relevant internal and external developments within the secure systems software; your focus is on research topics directly coupled to this field and you act as a knowledge source with the research group, supporting junior and senior researchers.
* You coach PhD students, you define the work planning and you contribute to the creation of an inspiring environment for conducting creative, innovative research.
* By attending and organizing conferences and workshops you expand DistriNet's national and international network.
* You publish research results, conduct lectures and participate in relevant working groups on a national and international level.
* You act as an expert and source of knowledge (on state-of-the-art, research challenges, killer applications and new technologies) of the most prominent research themes in your area.
* You initiate, attain and coordinate research project ideas. This includes knowledge acquisition of relevant national and international research programs, participation in project idea initiatives.
* You contribute to research projects and activities by tracking the project progress, by attending and organizing project meetings and by participating in and organizing of project collaboration initiatives.
* You contribute to the inception and development of technical proof-of-concepts to demonstrate and evaluate research results.
* You contribute to research strategy development for the research pillar on secure system software (embedded, cloud etc.) systems within the DistriNet research group.
* You compare internal research results with those of other research centers, and you set up international collaboration
- Ph.D. in Computer Science (Doctor in Engineering or in Sciences: Informatics, Computer Science).
- Knowledge and experience in one or more of the following research subdomains of secure software for embedded systems:
* Security aspects of system software including virtualization, isolation and dependability;
* Software techniques allowing for the verification, attestation and assurance of software, i.e. verification- and compilation technologies;
* Mobile security;
* Architectural security of cloud based systems;
* Security API's for mobile devices and appliances.
- Experience as a post-doctoral researcher in executing research and in guiding PhD students.
- Experience in the execution of national and international research projects.
- Extensive affinity with national and international research and industrial ICT community.
- The ability to work independently as well as part of a research team.
- Fluent in English, both written and oral.
We offer a permanent position as Research Expert at KU Leuven in a very dynamic and internationally orientedresearch group at one of the best universities in Europe.
KU Leuven - Universiteit