RESEARCH ASSOCIATE / SENIOR BIOTECHNICIAN
Locations: Beerse, Belgium
Functions: Operations (Generalist)
Start a new job search
Apply Get Referred
Requisition ID: 1905745824W
The department In Vivo Sciences within Non-clinical Safety supports or conducts experiments to test the safety and effectiveness of new and existing drugs. To strengthen the team, we are looking for an experienced biotechnician.
* Experiments in animals are executed conform internal and external guidelines, compliance with guidelines on health & safety, animal ethics, laboratory animal legislation, quality, data integrity, training plans, time registration, standard operating procedures and work instructions is essential
* Be a role model in the daily care (welfare, health, hygiene) of rodents and non-rodents:
- order and register laboratory animals in Tick@Lab
- daily monitoring of the health of the animal
- know and apply the correct housing (cage size, cage enrichment) conditions
- daily control of environmental parameters (temperature, relative humidity, light, sound)
- socialization programs for animals
- assess and register pain levels (P-level)
- report and register non-conformities/observations/injured/sick animals to the PI and veterinarian
- provide care and/or mediation as prescribed by the treating veterinarian
- knowledge of breeding of transgenic rodents is an asset
- technical aspects required for breeding of rodents: coupling, vaginal plugs, weaning, sexes, biopsy
- make 3R suggestions: refinement, reduction, replacement of animal models
- (pro)active cooperation in or with members of the Animal Welfare Body
* In life phase of in vivo studies:
- assists in the creation of scientific experiments and development of methodologies
- performs the assigned experiments according protocol
- identification of animals (microchip, tattoo, ear or tail biopsy)
- dosing test substances (subcutaneous, intramuscular, oral, intravenous, intraperitoneal)
- application of anesthesia and euthanasia of animals
- collection of urine and blood samples (orbital, sublingual, tail or other veins, heart puncture)
- assisting in diagnostic autopsy, dissection, surgery and/or special care procedures
- use and maintenance of IVC (individually ventilated cages) cages
- pre- and postoperative care and knowledge of aseptic work instructions
- knowledge and application of specific software m.b.t. capture scientific data
- identifies issues and is actively looking for suitable solutions
- consults colleagues within and beyond the team to address issues or improve methods
* Records and reports:
- records all information obtained in the experiments according to existing practices and forms
- ensures that documents and data are well preserved
- summarizes data and gives advice in decision making
- prepares technical reports
- writes methodologies for internal and/or external use
- uses scientific literature in function of own experiments
* Contributes to efficient vivarium operations:
- correct use and maintenance of the laboratory equipment and computerized systems
- performs calibrations and quality checks
- order products and equipment through the appropriate processes
- follow-up on technical interventions
- suggest and introduce innovations in the daily processes
- flexibility in terms of working hours (late night dosing, weekend shifts)
- helps in training and guidance of internal/external employees and school interns
- write and review work instructions
* At least a bachelor's degree in animal or biomedical sciences.
* A FELASA B certificate is required.
* Demonstrate relevant experience as biotechnician.
* Able to work independently and in a team.
* Experience with Microsoft Office applications (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
* Reading, speaking and writing skills in Dutch and English.
Important Leadership Skills for Workplace Success
* Open communication with peers and management
* Motivated to work with animals
* Able to delegate if needed
* Positive mindset
* Creativity: how to overcome hurdles and/or improve daily operations?
* Feedback in a constructive way
* Responsibility is key!
* Commitment to tasks, animals and people
* Flexibility in dealing with change and working outside nine-to-five regimens
What's in it for you?
"Caring for the world, one person at a time…". As an employee, we consider you as our most asset. We take your career seriously. As part of a team in an innovative environment your development is key and our day-to-day responsibility. Through e-university, on the job training, various projects and programs, we ensure your personal growth. Our benefits make sure we care for you and your family now and in the future.
Janssen Pharmaceutica N.V. (7555)