Project Leader Material Science Corrosion
Research & Development
Reducing harmful vehicle emissions. Giving new life to used metals. Powering the cars of the future. As a global materials and technology group, we apply our specialist knowledge to offer materials and solutions that are essential to everyday life.
Driving progress through research. Providing material solutions for the world's most pressing challenges and anticipating the needs of our customers requires a high level of investment in research. Umicore's Group Research capabilities focus on new materials and processes to address the megatrends of resource scarcity and clean mobility. The nature of research and development means that we cannot stand still. We need to find new ways to do things, discover new solutions and develop new ideas. Which is where you come in.
What you will be doing
* You are responsible for the methodological approach and follow up of the research projects you have been entrusted with and lead their implementation. One of the projects will be related to corrosion of metals and ceramics where you will screen existing and develop new corrosion resistant materials together with external partners. Other projects will be related to process development and/or particle synthesis (e.g. for rechargeable battery materials).
* You are responsible for the results, timing and budget of your projects.
* You are responsible for the management of the external collaborations for your projects. You follow up of the existing collaborations and you actively assess potential new external partners.
* You lead the communication process towards your superiors, team members, business units and external partners related to your research projects. You coordinate the project evolution and the according reporting and administration.
* You continue to develop your own as well as the group's expertise in this field. You explore new techniques and create new ideas and developments that might contribute to the growth of the knowledge domain
* You manage the IP and FTO situation of your projects in cooperation with Umicore patent department.
* You create new patents and define your project work based on a solid view of the existing IP landscape.
* As a part of the Functional Materials platform, you contribute to the larger organization by actively participating in cross-team events, and by facilitating knowledge transfer amongst colleagues.
Who we are looking for
* You hold a PhD in Material Science or Materials Engineering. Background in corrosion research, process and/or product development is a strong asset.
* You have a comprehensive approach towards technical and scientific issues and new developments.
* Experience in project management and/or management of external collaborations is a strong asset.
* Having expertise in the field of material characterization is an asset.
* Experience in funding and IP is an asset.
* You are familiar with practical requirements of environmental, health and safety issues.
* You are strong in summarizing, systematic and methodological in approach.
* You are fluent in English, both written and orally.
What we offer
At Umicore, we aim to lead by example, commit to quality products and services and to our values. Not just for our customers, but for our employees too. That is why we strive to create a collaborative environment in which our people can succeed, and a culture that is open to sharing ideas, develop expertise and careers, coupled to a motivating remuneration package.