Project Leader Catalysis Materials
Research & Development
Reducing harmful vehicle emissions. Giving new life to used metals. Powering the cars of the future. As a global materials and technology group, we apply our specialist knowledge to offer materials and solutions that are essential to everyday life.
Driving progress through research. Providing material solutions for the world's most pressing challenges and anticipating the needs of our customers requires a high level of investment in research. Umicore's Group Research capabilities focus on new materials and processes to address the megatrends of resource scarcity and clean mobility. The nature of research and development means that we cannot stand still. We need to find new ways to do things, discover new solutions and develop new ideas. Which is where you come in.
As a Project Leader in the Functional materials platform, you will work out of the central R&D of Umicore to develop and optimize new materials for automotive catalysis, mostly through inorganic aqueous chemistry. You drive your research projects to tangible results, manage the communication with all relevant stakeholders, and broaden your expertise to make it available within the R&D organization. You push boundaries by acquiring knowledge on new technologies and applying this knowledge to generating ideas for new developments. Moreover, you maintain an internal network and share expertise with your colleagues.
* You are responsible for the development of key enabling materials for automotive after treatment systems in the field of both diesel and gasoline applications.
* You build in-depth materials understanding. Your insights in the relations between material properties and catalytic activity will be an essential basis to drive your projects to success.
* You cooperate with our business unit Automotive Catalysis, internal and external laboratories, and companies (suppliers etc.). You take care of the related communication.
* You are responsible for the results, timing and budget of your projects.
* You lead the communication process towards your superiors and team members related to your research projects. You follow up on the project evolution, the related reporting, and administration.
* You manage the IP and FTO situation of your projects in cooperation with Umicore patent department.
* You create new patents and define your project work based on a solid view of the existing IP landscape.
* You look for funding opportunities and are actively engaged in the preparation of funding proposals.
* You continue to develop your own as well as the group's expertise. You build up an international network to explore new scientific methods and technologies. You create new ideas and developments that contribute to the growth of our knowledge domain.
* You are responsible for the training, development and coaching of your team members to improve their competences.
* As a part of the Functional Materials platform, you contribute to the larger organization by actively participating in cross-team events, and by facilitating knowledge transfer amongst colleagues.
* You hold a PhD in Chemistry or Materials science, with a background in heterogeneous catalysis, or vice versa.
* Knowledge of inorganic aqueous chemistry is considered a strong asset
* You are familiar with practical requirements of environmental, health and safety issues.
* You are strong in summarizing, systematic and methodological in approach.
* You are fluent in English, both written and orally. You master the Dutch language or willing to learn it. Knowledge of the German language is an advantage.
* You are result-oriented, creative and your work passion proves infectious; as such, you succeed in convincing other people without any problem.
* You are a team player and customer minded.
* You are stress resistant and committed to results.
* You are confident in your messages to internal and external stakeholders, even when the decision/advice taken still encounters residual risks. You will manage expectations.
* You are prepared to accomplish missions abroad.
What we offer
We aim to lead the way. Not just for our customers, but for our employees too. That is why we strive to create a collaborative environment in which we can all succeed, and a culture through which we can all share ideas, develop our expertise and advance our careers. As you would expect from a world-leading organisation, we will also reward your contribution with a competitive salary and benefits. With all this and more, imagine what you could do?