Process R&D Manager
Rechargeable Battery Materials
Process & Product Development
Reducing harmful vehicle emissions. Giving new life to used metals. Powering the cars of the future. As a global materials and technology group, we apply our specialist knowledge to offer materials and solutions that are essential to everyday life.
About Rechargeable Battery Materials
We are all on the move. Umicore's rechargeable battery materials give people autonomy and connectivity. We are a pioneer in battery materials that give added range and performance to electric vehicles. Our materials also ensure longer battery life for portable electronics. To enable our customers to produce even better performing batteries we cannot stand still. We need to find new ways to do things, discover new solutions and develop new ideas. Which is where you come in.
What you will be doing
* Definition, coordination and timely execution of a group of projects within the program. Manage redefinition of the projects as required by the environment (external/internal) based e.g. on projected cost assessments, achievable product quality….
* Reporting the overall project status and next steps towards the program management team
* Ensure the external research efforts
Competence development and team management:
* Set-up and execute the cross boarder management of a the process technology team
* Ensure the internalization of the technical process competences in-line with the strategic process choices for future large scale implementation.
* Contribute to the definition of the strategic direction for competence development.
* Active definition of public funded research project.
Product quality assurance of the products manufactured at PCC Olen West/Site2:
* In the first wave of investments in PCC only a limited number of analytical techniques will be integrated, characterization of the products will be outsourced to ACC (Olen East) and RTC (RBM, Cheonan, Korea).
* Manage the relationship with ACC and RBM Cheonan.
* Work together with ACC to ensure procedure alignment and e.g. round robin tests to guarantee result similarity between the analytical labs (reference RBM Cheonan).
* Manage in such a way that results are available in a timely manner and accepted by stakeholders.
Who we are looking for
* Technical PhD degree (chemistry, physics, engineering, …) with over 10 years working experience within the domains of research project management and process technology development.
* Technical skills:
* Expertise in process technology development in the field of ceramic powder handling and manufacturing
* Expertise in transferring of R&D processes to piloting and industrial scale
* Project management, organizing, planning and coordination skills
* Business acumen and good understanding of R&D management and organization
* Thorough knowledge of MS office products (with focus on Excel and PowerPoint). Knowledge of project scheduling programs is a plus (e.g. MS Project)
* Managerial skills:
* Fluent writing and speaking in English
* Demonstrated ability to inspire effective teamwork and motivate staff in a matrix structure
* Experience in managing global research projects with significant financial value and complicated structure.
* Ability to utilize resources effectively on global scale
Must be able to wear safety shoes and protective equipment such as respirators, safety glasses and safety shoes.
What we offer
At Umicore, we aim to lead by example, commit to quality products and services and to our values. Not just for our customers, but for our employees too. That is why we strive to create a collaborative environment in which our people can succeed, and a culture that is open to sharing ideas, develop expertise and careers, coupled to a motivating remuneration package.
If our expertise can help improve battery performance, IMAGINE WHAT YOU COULD DO?