Principal Technician (COMSEC Implementation)-180160
NATO Communications and Information Agency (NCI Agency)
Salary (Pay Basis)
: 4,297.62Euro (EUR) Monthly
Do you have comprehensive knowledge of the principles of computer and communications security, networking, and the vulnerabilities of modern operating systems and applications? Do you have experience in the analysis of risk and in the implementation and integration of Information Assurance (IA) protective measures?
The NATO Communications and Information Agency (NCI Agency) is currently looking for a Principal Technician (COMSEC Implementation) to work within our Infrastructure Services Directorate.
The NCI Agency has been established with a view to meeting to the best advantage the collective requirements of some or all NATO nations in the fields of capability delivery and service provision related to Consultation, Command & Control as well as Communications, Information and Cyber Defence functions
The NCI Agency Directorate of Infrastructure Services (DIS) Director of Infrastructure Services (DIS) is accountable for the effective and efficient provision of CIS Infrastructures, and associated Enterprise-wide ICT Services through lifecycle support delivered to the Customer within time, cost and quality parameters and the requirements specified in SLAs.
The Cyber Security (CS) Service Line (SL), where this role sits, provides governance, scientific, technical, acquisition and sustainment support in the area of cyber security, throughout the lifecycle of NATO Communications Information Systems (CIS). The CS SL enables secure conduct of the Alliance's operations and business in the NNEC environment and in the context of NATO's C4ISR.
Under the direction of the Cell Head, you will be performing the following duties:
· Support development, production and maintenance of User Operator and Maintenance Guides for all NATO cryptographic systems;
· Delivery of semi-formal training during initial installation of NATO cryptographic equipment and systems;
· Maintenance and provision of in-depth technical and procedural COMSEC knowledge;
· Support COMSEC installation project - guidance and criteria;
· Support to the review of capability packages;
· Support to the review of Type B Cost Estimates (TBCEs);
· Support to the review of Project Implementation Plans;
· Production and dissemination of project documentation;
· Support development of secure technical solutions;
· Technical support to production of project accreditation documentation;
· Technical support to project handover (JFAI);
· Prototype Information Assurance architecture testing;
· Support to procurement of Information Assurance installation hardware and software in support of projects;
· Site surveys of NATO installations in support of new installations;
· Installation of COMSEC systems;
· Commissioning of COMSEC end-to-end services;
· Support to COMSEC help desks;
· Preparation of COMSEC system components prior to delivery to site;
· Compilation and storage of installation records;
· Collection and analysis of service delivery statistics;
· Validation of conformity for COMSEC element installation;
· Advice and support to all NATO COMSEC Officers and Commanders;
· Production of formal Trip Reports;
· Performs other duties as may be required.
Vocational training at a higher level in a relevant discipline and 8 years of relevant experience; or, a combination of equivalent qualifications and experience.
It will be considered an asset if you possess the following:
· COMSEC System Engineering Course - NATO CIS School (ITA)
· NATO Senior NCO Orientation Course -NATO School Oberammergau (DEU)
In addition to 8 years relevant experience, you will need to prove:
· Comprehensive knowledge of the principles of computer and communications security, networking, and the vulnerabilities of modern operating systems and applications;
· Experience in the analysis of risk and in the implementation and integration of IA protective measures;
· Practical experience in installing, or maintaining crypto equipment and their associated voice or data terminal, line and routingequipment;
· Knowledge of military cryptographic equipment and principles;
· Good working knowledge of modern communications principles to include Internet Protocols (IP) networks and techniques;
· Experience in up to date network security principles and practices.
Valid driving licence (Class B) is a must.
It is highly desirable if you can display:
· Knowledge of cryptographic installation techniques and standards;
· Knowledge of NATO Implementation, COMSEC and EMSEC Directives and publications;
· Knowledge of NATO Logistic Support and Guidance;
· Prior experience of working in an international environment comprising both military and civilian elements;
· Knowledge of NATO responsibilities and organization, including ACO and ACT.
Applying Expertise and Technology - Applies specialist and detailed technical expertise; uses technology to achieve work objectives; develops job knowledge and expertise (theoretical and practical) through continual professional development; demonstrates an understanding of different organisational departments and functions.
Following Instructions and Procedures - Appropriately follows instructions from others without unnecessarily challenging authority; follows procedures and policies; keeps to schedules; arrives punctually for work and meetings; demonstrates commitment to the organisation; complies with legal obligations and safety requirements of the role.
Working with People - Shows respect for the views and contributions of other team members; shows empathy; listens, supports and cares for others; consults others and shares information and expertise with them; builds team spirit and reconciles conflict; adapts to the team and fits in well.
Most of the work of the NCI Agency is conducted in the English language, and therefore a thorough knowledge of English, both written and spoken, is essential and some knowledge of French is desirable.
Business travel to NATO and national (NATO and non-NATO) facilities as well as frequent travel between the NCIA offices;
May be required to undertake duty travel to operational theatres inside and outside NATO boundaries.
NCI Agency normally offers contracts of employment of a definite duration, not exceeding three years. Contracts may be for less than three years as required to support short-term projects, meet uncertainty with respect to the business outlook, staff performance and other factors.
Definite duration contracts may be extended for further periods. When extending contracts, the following is taken into consideration:
* Renewal is in the interest of the Agency.
* Staff member's desire to remain with the Agency.
* The financial situation provides sufficient funding for the post held.
* The skills, competencies and behaviours, potential and work experience of the staff, versus the requirements of the Agency's work and/or availability of funding.
* Staff member has served the Agency with performance to the required standard as defined by the Agency,
* Staff member's deployability to operational theatre.
Serving civilian members of NATO will be offered a contract in accordance with the NATO Civilian Personnel Regulations.
The first six months of definite duration contracts are a probationary period. During this period the staff member's work is assessed to ensure that he/she has the ability to carry out the duties of the post. At or before the end of the probationary period, the staff member will be notified in writing that the appointment is confirmed or terminated or, in exceptional cases, that the probationary period is extended.
What do we offer?
* Excellent tax-free salary, including (where eligible) expatriation household and children's allowances and additional privileges for expatriate staff.
* Education allowance for children (where appropriate) and an excellent private health insurance scheme;
* Generous annual leave and home leave (if eligible).
* Retirement Pension Plan
To learn more about NCI Agency and our work, please visit our website.
Please note that due to the Agency's transition into a new structure in the near future, this post may be subject to transfer to one of our other locations, as well as to a change of reporting lines. The final decision will be made at the time of a firm offer.
The Agency's recruitment team advises you that due to the large volume of applications it receives the screening process may take up to 2 months after closing date. We appreciate your patience.