Senior / Principal scientist Pharmaceutical Developability
Locations: Beerse, Belgium
Start a new job search
Apply Get Referred
Requisition ID: 1905776749W
Within Discovery , Product Development & Supply, the Small Molecule Drug Product Development organization (Beerse, Belgium) has an open position for a Developability Senior Scientist / Principal Scientist.
The position will be accountable as of Lead Optimization for the developability of key compounds of interest within Janssen's Discovery portfolio. In this position, you will partner with Discovery to help, guide and influence the optimal design and selection of New Molecular Entities (NMEs) and ensure identification of the best compounds for progression into clinical development in line with the Disease Area Stronghold (DAS) and Therapeutic Area (TA) strategy. Furthermore, this position will assure formulation development strategies up to First In Human (FIH) clinical studies, also taking into consideration later formulation trajectories.
You will be part of a dynamic, accomplished team that supports multiple R&D therapeutic areas across Discovery, and you will contribute to data-driven solutions that enable the Discovery portfolio. The Developability teams will reside on the discovery teams and will be an integral contributor to these teams, enabling evaluation of efficacy, PK/PD, safety and a number of Developability criteria to ensure appropriateness for progression of key discovery molecules into development.
It is expected that the incumbent (scientist) contributes to these three major takes by:
* Applying scientific expertise related to/relevant for Pharmaceutical Developability
* Providing strategic and scientific guidance to a small team of lab technicians responsible for all experimental aspects of develpability needs.
* Working closely together with lab technicians involved in developability support to strengthen the science based approach
* Acting as a Developability Representative on a discovery projects
Key Responsibilities for Discovery Developability Representative:
* To support/develop formulations for early pharmacokinetics studies, pharmacodynamics/efficacy studies, and early toxicity studies including safety pharmacology and tolerability studies.
* To provide a Biopharmaceutical assessment, which is of critical importance in determining the suitability of a lead candidate for further development and which involves many stakeholders.
* To play a key role in developing experimental protocols, analyzing data and ultimately decision-making. As project representative he/she should take a proactive role in identifying the right questions and providing the appropriate experimental design using relevant preclinical studies and formulation concepts.
* Proactively connect and interact with key stakeholders within therapeutic areas, Pharmacokinetics, Toxicology, and SMPD
* Keep informed on and invest in innovative screening tools and formulation options to meet the needs of the Discovery and early Development programs, in collaboration with experts within SMPD, academic groups and contract labs.
* Asses Lead to Late-Lead candidates within discovery using state-of-the-art tools and approaches.
* Stay informed on and invest in innovative screening tools and formulation options to meet the needs of the Discovery programs, in collaboration with experts within Janssen R&D, academic institutes and contract labs.
* Help guide developability input into Janssen's data science initiatives and contribute to the development and use of data and computational models.
* A PhD degree in Pharmaceutical Sciences, Chemistry,Chemical Engineering or proven equal experience, with a strong understanding of Pharmaceutical Development, ADME and Preclinical Safety evaluation.
* Experience as a Pharmaceutical Scientist, with demonstrated experience in developability or/and formulation strategies, is required.
* Experience in developability assessment of New Molecular Entities (NME) for druggable characteristics (e.g. molecular design and interpretation of pharmaceutical properties in relation to exposure and toxicology data, formulation strategy and optima dosage forms)
* Organizational, planning, problem solving skills and leadership skills needed in the completion of deliverables to the discovery Teams.
* Excellent partnering and decision-making skills.
* Master the balance between nice-to-have and need-to-have, apply fit-for-purpose approaches to provide scientifically valid assessments.
* Excellent oral and written communication skills and ability to clearly and concisely present and communicate developability assessment and its impact to various audiences, including medicinal chemists, biologists, preclinical leaders (for both Tox and ADME), and internal boards.
* Ability to connect and empower people, discover and develop potential and challenge in a positive manner where necessary.
What's in it for you…?
"Caring for the world, one person at a time…"
As an employee we consider you as our most valuable asset. We take your career seriously. As part of a global team in an innovative environment your development is key and our day-to-day responsibility. Through e-university, on the job training, various projects and programs, we ensure your personal growth. Our benefits make sure we care for you and your family now and in the future! We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Janssen Pharmaceutica N.V. (7555)
Non Operating Companies