Power Market Analyst
Who we are:
ENGIE is a global energy company, a leading provider of electricity, natural gas, and energy services. With 153,090 employees in more than 70 countries worldwide, ENGIE achieved revenue of €66.6 billion in 2016. ENGIE is committed to being a leader in the energy transition towards zero carbon.
We are looking for talented and motivated people to create the future of energy. Join a rewarding and flexible work environment that encourages innovation and creativity, and help us meet the energy challenges of today and tomorrow.
Global Energy Management (GEM) is one of ENGIE's Business Units. We deliver services in supply and logistics management, asset management, risk management, market access management, while contributing to the market understanding, design and efficiency and developing market solutions to accelerate the energy transition.
GEM manages one of the largest and most diversified energy portfolios in Europe, including electricity, natural gas, bulk commodities and environmental products.
With 5 trading platforms and activities in more than 50 countries, GEM has an extended geographical coverage in Europe, Asia-Pacific and in the US. It employs 1,300 people around the world.
In the context of the energy transition, GEM needs to optimize the value of the portfolio, manage the risks and develop trading in pan-European markets.
The Expertise Center Global Market Analysis (GMA) and the business platform Power Trading are looking for a power market analyst. He/she will be part of an extended team of market analysts who sit on the trading floor. Targeting superior energy market knowledge, we build independent analyses and provide positions to give to GEM & Engie a competitive advantage
- Developing consistent market views (gas, power, oil, bulk, carbon, meteo) to explain market moves and forecast future evolution for internal and external clients
- Delivering ad-hoc fundamental, statistical and technical analyses
- Pro-actively seeking innovative solutions to improve sales, traders and business developers performance as well as to support senior managers in their decision making process.
- Providing market analysis reports and services to a defined set of internal and external clients.
- Providing strategic insights on new businesses linked to energy transition
- Representing GEM in external forum or conferences in relation with energy market knowledge
The Power Market Analyst will focus on developing fundamental and machine learning models to forecast electricity prices in Central Western Europe. He/she will use those tools to validate market views and answer questions of power traders.
The Power Market Analyst will specifically have to
- Analyze and understand the fundamentals of power markets (Central Western Europe)
- Develop and maintain power supply/demand models and machine learning models together with the team of analysts, data scientists and IT support
- Develop and maintain models for various supply/demand components (consumption, renewable production etc)
- Liaise and coordinate with GEM market analysis teams
- Develop and maintain market data, analysis, recurrent reports and presentations
- Develop close relationship with traders and provide some real time support
- Advice GEM and Engie entities about market evolution and the impact on asset valuation and risk management
- Promote team spirit and collaboration.
The Power Market Analyst will work closely traders to propose strategies and reduce risks of the portfolio management. She/he will work as well with the Gas, Coal and Emission Market Analysts to develop cross commodity market views.
He/she will be in close contact with the regulation teams in charge of defining and defending GEM/Engie positions for future market design and regulation.
Brussels, ENGIE TOWER
Education and professional background:
Master degree level in applied mathematics or engineering.
Understanding of power markets
Strong analytical and modeling skills
Strong programming skills (good knowledge of Python and the pandas/numpy ecosystem), experience with versioning tools such as git
Good communication skills (written & oral): Ability to explain complex issues; ability to work in multi-cultural environment
Ability to work with traders, to translate market analyses into propositions/Strategies and to communicate them clearly
Reactivity, creativity, initiative, autonomy, ability to cope with tight deadlines, team spirit
Fluency in English. Knowledge of Dutch is a plus.
- Posting Date: Sep 10, 2020