Senior Principal, Occupational Safety
Locations: Beerse, Belgium
Functions: Environmental Health & Safety
Start a new job search
Apply Get Referred
Requisition ID: 1905717340W
Basic purpose of the role
The Senior Principal, Occupational Safety is an experienced and recognized technical expert in the prevention of injuries and property loss associated with a wide variety of safety hazards. The function content is two folded, as a global subject matter expert will s/he develop and implement worldwide safety strategies in the area of occupational safety and secondly will this function be the regional EMEA single point of contact for occupational safety to create safe work places for employees, contractors and visitors. The complexity of safety challenges across the Family of Companies and Strategic Partners requires advanced knowledge and technical specialization in the different areas of occupational safety for manufacturing, warehouses, laboratories, office buildings, facilities and construction projects.
The Senior Principal, Occupational Safety must work with staff in all parts of our business and in all cultures to implement effective solutions. S/he must drive a standardized and harmonized approach across the world to maximize efficiency and effectiveness in diverse cultures and countries. S/he will interface with a wide variety of operating companies - and strategic partners personnel, ranging from maintenance and engineering technicians, local EHS staff to organizational leaders. S/he will develop solutions to occupational safety challenges and present recommendations to various leadership teams: site-level leadership teams; regional EHS&S Leadership Team; global EHS&S Leadership Team; Engineering and Facilities Leadership Teams; etc. In addition, s/he will interface with local and national regulatory agencies for workplace safety and health, leaders of professional associations for EHS, External Service providers and vendors for environment, health, and safety.
* Develops and implements worldwide occupational safety strategies and is the regional EMEA single point of contact for Occupational Safety.
* Provides technical solutions to the regional Family of Companies on cost effective compliance strategies for EHS Standards such as EHS Management System; EHS by Design; Emergency Preparedness and Response; Contractor Management; Construction Safety, Fall Prevention; Fire and Explosion Prevention; Machinery, Electrical and Powered Industrial Vehicle Safety; Control of Permit Required Work and Non-Routine Activities; Warehouse & Storage Areas; Risk Assessment and Control, Management of Change and Lone Workers.
* Collaborates with Engineering and Property Services and Sector/ segment-based engineering organizations to incorporate safety engineering into development of standardized design platforms. In addition, support the incorporation of contractor safety strategy into construction projects, IT and management of facilities.
* Establishes risk mitigation goals and develops metrics to track & communicate progress. Analyzes occupational safety metrics (leading & lagging indicators) and communicates results to major internal customers including regional and sector management.
* Partners with various System-based Owners/Process Champions toensure that SOPs remain current and are regularly reviewed to include new requirements and/or to exclude excessive requirements.
* Participates in accident and incident investigations to assure accurate and thorough identification of root causes and development of appropriate CAPA.
* Develops occupational safety capabilities for the Occupational Safety Disciplines (s)he globally owns in others by leading a global Community of Practice and through training, coaching and support.
* Provides guidance and support to the operating companies in the region to ensure effective implementation and adherence to the J&J EHSS Standards and the JJSC Safety Culture program.
* Supports establishment and maintenance of occupational safety policies/standards/metrics that support strategic goals, J&J requirements, and J&J's leadership position in occupational safety.
Working with the Occupational Safety Director, helps shape the external regulatory, industry and stakeholder environments, promoting J&J's leadership position in occupational safety through outreach activities including regulatory agency alliances and industry forums.
Education: University/ Master degree or equivalent, safety/engineering preferred, Certified Safety Professional or equivalent preferred.
Experience: 8^+ years of relevant experience
Key required competencies:
Excellent interpersonal, English communication (written & verbal), problem-solving, influence, planning, organizing, time management skills are required. A superior team player is a must.
Demonstrated ability to interface effectively with regulators and associates is required.
Demonstrated ability to quickly interpret complex regulatory issues and provide recommended course of action is required.
Excellent demonstrated project management skills are required, including ability to produce and maintain project schedules & budgets, create dashboards and track metrics, and assemble project information into clearly written reports that document findings and recommendations.
Demonstrated experience is required in identifying, evaluating and controlling occupational safety risks in the workplace, evidenced by successful metrics indicating improvement in safety.
Demonstrated experience is required in building competency and awareness of occupational safety issues through training, coaching, public speaking, and presentations to teams at all levels of the organization.
Ability and willingness to travel up to 35% across EMEA is required.
Location of Role: Flexible within region.
Language Requirements: English is required, proficiency in one or more regional languages preferred.
Travel Requirements: Up to 35%
Janssen Pharmaceutica N.V. (7555)
Environmental Health & Safety