Medical Director Neurology
Date: Aug 14, 2019
Location: Anderlecht, Brussels, GB
Rozimab Global Medical Affairs (Senior) Director/Global Medical Affairs (Senior) Medical Director
The successful candidate for this role will provide medical and scientific expertise and leadership, by contributing to defining and delivering the medical strategy for for Global Medical Affairs Rozimab team. This role will cover both neurology and immunology sectors and will closely align with cross functionally among the global and regional medical affairs and business needs while providing leadership to ensure a clinically credible service is delivered to internal and external customers. This role will actively lead: Medical Learning, Data communication & generation, Medical Affairs materials and training on Rozimab.
The role sits in a critical cross-collaboration place between global/mission medical affairs and country/region medical affairs teams.
This position reports to the Global Medical Affairs Medical Lead Rozimab
The key objectives for this position are:
1. Active participation on the Rozimab Mission Medical Leadership team providing medical affairs experience and contribution to the Medical Mission Lead and being a positive influence within the wider Rozimab Mission.
2. Supports the Medical Lead by contributing to the development of the global Medical Strategy and take a leadership role in Implementing the global medical strategy: the incumbent is pivotally involved in supporting the Medical Lead in the development of the Medical Strategy, in particular the Medical Communication and Learning strategies as well as developing communication and Learning interventions tools and trainings to tactically implement the Mission/Global strategy, in collaboration with other global MA and global commercial members.
3. Provides medical/clinical expertise and knowledge for the entirety of immunology and neurology therapeutic area including new indications. Provides medical/clinical expertise related to MA immunology/neurology products and projects and their alignment and communication to internal (R&D, marketing, manufacturing, pharmacovigilance, quality assurance, regulatory affairs, and legal) and external (healthcare professionals, patients, advocacy groups, etc.) stakeholders
4. To be responsible for the facilitation of the flow medical insights from the field to the regional and mission team. He or she is a reference source for the area colleagues, and ensures appropriate communication of global scientific communication strategy horizontally and vertically in the regional medical organization.
5. Gather Insightful information, internal and external customers' needs and translate into appropriate tools and activities to address the needs, through robust insight generation, analyses and governance
6. "Scientific Ambassador" to outside stakeholders, reinforcing the external perception of UCB as a leading Biopharmaceutical company.
7. "Peer" within UCB to build an effective and broad collaborative network throughout the company, going beyond the needs for immediate success, to contribute to others' objectives and to projects that further our business and processes at UCB
8. Serves as a representative of MA in the advertising/promotional review committee, and provides editorial input related to product line with our immunology/neurology therapeutic area
Noise to Signal
* Insights gathering is a key part of the role as all its deliverables have to fulfill key needs of patients and ecosystem stakeholders for their better care, so they need to be based on true & accurate insights
* Develops governance for Insight collection and analysis and coordinates and prioritizes the gathering of observations to help generate actionable insights to improve patient management through all customer related activities, i.e. field visits, Advisory Boards, congresses, summits, interactions with patient groups etc.
* Leverage effective insights generation for the Medical Affairs CoE sources (eg Med Info, MineR, ect, UCB Cares).
* Maintains knowledge base as to developments and trends in medical sciences related to immunology and neurology diseases in particular; possesses a deep and up to date knowledge of the published medical literature relating to the product/therapeutic area(s) and serves as a resource regarding clinical trends and their potential impact.
Task to Value/ Space with Consistency
To support the Medical Lead with the development of the Medical strategy, launch plans and annual Medical affairs/ Medical input to the patient value plan
* Leveraging medical insights from External Experts and knowledge of scientific publications to support Medical Lead in developing the global scientific communication strategy and Global Medical Affairs Strategy.
* To develop the Medical Learning plan and deliver a 5 year learning plan across stakeholders and indications. To deliver a corresponding Intervention plan for stakeholder Education. To lead and support the tactical delivery of the medical learning strategy through all interventions; congresses, multichannel, standalones etc.
* Develop and deliver medical solutions inspired by a deep understanding of patients, and physicians needs related to Rozimab and disease, to improve clinical practice and patient care.
* To support development of and implementation of MSL strategic plan based on the global and regional medical plans.
* Works in collaboration with global medical affairs team members and other regional medical affairs functions to drive adoption and implementation of the global strategy in identified UCB regions, including new product launches. In preparation of a product launch, coordinate with local medical affairs team the development and execution of the medical launch excellence plan
Data Dissemination and Generation:
* Support the implementation of the medical/scientific communication strategy and plan in regions, ensuring alignment with the Global/ Mission Goals and Objectives
* To lead at a global and region level to building high value-added medical education programs for HCPs, such as Medical Educational programs, symposia, digital channels, speaker faculty program
* To contribute at a global and region level to building high value-added medical education programs for other key stakeholders' groups (patients, PAGs, policymakers, payers), such as Educational programs, needs assessments, digital channels
* Support the development of Med Information materials and appropriate communication materials for HCPs where needed
* Supports maximizing the utilization and communication of existing data and evidence for global and regions
* Provides medical input into the development of real-world evidence generation, including Early Access/Managed Access Programmes as well as Registries
* Provides input in the IIS strategy development & IIS requests assessment
Cross functional Medical Input
* Contributes to the Medical input for HTAS/Access/ Reimbursement documents and process
* Contributes to the Medical input to marketing, commercial and patient advocacy activities
* Drives internal disease area and product education and training programs for medical and cross-functional colleagues
* Develop & Assess educational/training materials, ensuring that all claims are fully supported by scientific data, and are presented in an accurate, fair and balanced manner
Connecting Internally and Externally/ Helpfulness and Generosity
External Scientific Collaboration
* In tandem with the nPVU & Extended Medical Clinical Community, act as key liaison to external scientific collaborators (key international opinion leaders, professional societies, groups) to identify new opportunities for scientific collaboration.
* Proactively builds and matures UCB's regional KOL network, including playing a leading role in UCB's global/regional events, R&D Round tables, Advisory Boards, etc. that include thought leaders and clinical experts
Cross functional Interactions and responsibilities
* Identifies appropriate interactions and effectively collaborate in cross-functional projects as required to provide Medical Affairs scientific and therapy area expertise
* Acts as key point of contact between Regions and Mission medical affairs teams; ensuring insights and knowledge exchange is done appropriately and compliantly (from the Mission to the field, from field to the Mission). Collaborates regularly with areas on execution of plans
* Participates in the Regional Solutions team meetings and networks contributing to the alignment of medical and marketing strategies
Space with Consistency
Medical Affairs Governance
* Contribute to continued strengthening of the TA expertise within the Medical Affairs Practice
* Understand and ensure working knowledge of the SOPs, GCP and ICH, as well as legal and ethical standards
* Ensure Global Medical Affairs activities are compliant, identify solutions for process improvement, and follow UCB corporate policies and SOPs; escalate unresolved conflicts in a timely manner through the Practice Heads
* Champion the medical review/approval of applicable materials/documents for Review Committee (eg: training materials, slide kits, white papers, standard letters)
* Collaborate with Medical and Regulatory colleagues in order to ensure all projects are designed and implemented according to compliance and legal requirements
* Provide medical governance and leadership for regional medical activities, by establishing superior partnerships, both internally and externally, by growing and communicating the knowledge and value of our patient solutions throughout their lifecycle.
* MD or life sciences PhD
* Medical Affairs experience for a minimum of 3-5 years; disease area knowledge highly desirable
* Experience working in the rare disease space
* European/International experience
* Strong experience in leading & developing medical affairs plans, medical content platforms; developing new, differentiating approaches; new product launch; medical affairs product plan turn-around
* Effective communication and presentation skills including mastery of English language
* Ability to build effective relationships, both internally as well as externally, across different functions
* Capability to adapt plans pro-actively through involvement of relevant stakeholders depending on business needs.
* Ability to communicate with people of different cultures and present complex knowledge in an accessible manner
* Demonstrated negotiation, conflict resolution and problem-solving skills
* Willingness to travel on regular basis
Job Segment: Medical, Manager, Medical Technologist, Neurology, Immunology, Healthcare, Management