SM API Cluster Manufacturing Technology Engineer
Multiple Locations: Geel, Belgium; Athens, Georgia; Cork, Ireland
Functions: Process Engineering
Start a new job search
Apply Get Referred
Requisition ID: 1905758147W
Are you the 'creative builder of the future' we are looking for? Your high interest in how the world will look like years from now and your strong technical leadership will help you to make robust decisions for the present that provides innovative solutions for our business needs.
MAKE Asset Management (MAM) is committed to deliver reliable, competitive and innovative Asset Management across the Janssen MAKE network. MAM provides agile, future proofed, data driven services and solutions to enable MTO platforms to deliver to our customers. MAM establishes effective internal and external partnerships and fosters an empowered environment that fuels diversity, talent and expertise. MAM is a critical partner with respect to the evaluation and introduction of new process technologies for small molecule (SM) active pharmaceutical ingredients (API) development and production
The Manufacturing Technology Engineer is responsible for opportunity definition, business case development, design and selection of engineering alternatives for complex production and processing equipment, scouting and piloting of new technologies, transfer of knowledge to the user and to maintenance and for providing ongoing operational engineering and technical support after handover. All of this is embedded in an environment characterized by increasing complexity and an increasing need for new technologies and innovation.
The current job opening is situated in the area of new process technologies and innovation; general activities include:
* Identification and evaluation of new process technologies for development (DPDS) or commercial (JSC) production;
* Introduction of new technology platforms in DPDS or JSC;
* Identification of opportunities to increase process efficiency by technological modifications / innovation and process optimization
* Project lead of small and midsize study projects (opex) with focus on process and technology investments;
* Study work in development and commercial production;
* Active member or lead of international and cross JSC/DPDS expert teams to drive technological solutions and vision
* Development of a strategic Capital Master Plan and Long-Range Financial Plan for a given area.
* The scope is the full API SM cluster, the expertise of this role is to be leveraged across all sites in the cluster.
More specifically, the job owner will take up a role in the Reactor Stronghold as an expert. Specific responsibilities include:
* Fulfill the technical expert role for reactors, linking equipment capabilities with process requirements (mixing, heating/cooling…)
* Contributes in joint JSC/DPDPS Technology Stronghold Teams to support the development of new reactor platforms for the cluster.
* Interface with the cluster reactor team and the Competence Group on reactors
* Support capability build on reactors in collaboration with global partners and monitor internal capability level, publish technology reports reflecting technological progress.
* Assure reactor reliability and use expertise for 3rd line issue resolution. Supporting new product introductions from an equipment perspective.
* Improvement of Safety (e.g. expert in Hazop sessions); Compliance (qualification, audits), Costs (define standards, gatekeeping, initiate CIPs) and Capabilities (technology scouting, tech roadmap, matching future product portfolio)
In addition to above tasks, the job of technology engineer will be complemented with other (temporary) assignments, e.g.:
* Build expertise on equipment for flow chemistry
* Support for the design and/or execution of the PAT roadmap
* Portfolio management and execution of CDMP/CDPP technology studies
* Apply Simulation Tools for engineering projects (pressure drops, oxygen concentration…)
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
* Proven track record in engineering in the life sciences industries is required
* Good insight in applied chemical unit operations and knowledge of applied SM API technology base is required
* Ability to develop profound subject matter expertise in one or more technical core competence areas is required
* Knowledge of Process Safety Management requirements in chemical industry (functional safety, PED, SIL ...) and related risk management processes (HAZOP, SWIFT, FMECA, RCM ...) is required.
* Knowledge of quality requirements in pharmaceutical/life science industries is required.
* Good knowledge of English is required, both verbally and written
* Master or PhD in Engineering or Science (Chemistry/Process Technology) or equivalent curriculum
* Ability to efficiently interface with and execute/coordinate technology study work and optimization projects in both an R&D/development and a commercial production environment
* Coordination of and collaboration with a wide variety of internal and external people and resources, strong networker across the API SM Cluster
* Ability to work on both short and long-term objectives
* Good documentation and knowledge management skills
* End-to-end thinking and flexibility in terms of asset base, digitalisation and data analysis.
Specific expectations regarding Innovation and Creativity:
* Actively develops personal network, leverages internal and external expertise (suppliers, universities, …) to drive innovative engineering solutions.
* Benchmarks with other pharmaceutical companies and other industries to provide best in class engineering solutions.
* Drives superior outcomes by applying Faster Forward mindset and methodologies. Focuses on the customer and gains profound insights on customer needs. Collaborates across functional and business areas, pilots and learns fast from mistakes, boldly tries new E2E integrated solutions and builds fast track innovative and agile solutions.
* Continuously develops own technical knowledge by attending educational seminars and trade shows. Reviews professional publications and analyzes industry trends, explores new technologies and advises on modifications to Cluster Standards and/or Cluster project portfolio.
For this position, understanding of reactor technology is required and a more profound expertise is certainly an asset. This includes basic reactor process understanding (mixing, heating/cooling, inertisation, crystallization, phase split, solvent switches, reflux …) and elaborate equipment understanding (mixers & baffles, temperature control, header system, material compatibility, compound adding systems, flow technology…)
Expertise in any of the following other competence areas is also an asset:
* Process Analytical Tools (PAT)
* API particle tuning (control of physical and chemical API properties)
* API purification
* Product isolation & drying
Primary Locations: Europe/Middle East/Africa-Belgium-Antwerp-Geel, North America-United States-Georgia-Athens, Europe/Middle East/Africa-Ireland-Cork-Cork
Organization: Janssen Supply Chain
Job: Industrial Manufacturing
Travel: 20% (International)
North America-United States-Georgia-Athens, Europe/Middle East/Africa-Ireland-Cork-Cork
Janssen Pharmaceutica N.V. (7555)