Manager Toxicology and Product Safety
Legal - Security
Reducing harmful vehicle emissions. Giving new life to used metals. Powering the cars of the future. As a global materials and technology group, we apply our specialist knowledge to offer materials and solutions that are essential to everyday life.
About our corporate/support function
A global organisation. It's not just those in our industrial sites and technical centres that are vital to Umicore's growth. Across our support functions we ensure that we continue to grow and evolve - whether it's by making sure our decisions are commercially viable, enhancing our reputation, building new customer relationships or finding the right people who can build on what we've already achieved. The variety of our work means we cannot stand still. We need to find new ways to do things, discover new solutions and develop new ideas. Which is where you come in.
What you will be doing
Within the framework of compliance to European (REACH&CLP) and international regulations on chemical substances, you use your expertise in (eco)toxicology to support all Umicore Business Units in the context of hazard/risk assessment and risk management of chemical substances in raw materials and products.
* You give scientific advice in the translation of (eco)toxicological information about (new) chemicals into a hazard/risk assessment in order to work safely with (new) chemicals on the work floor
* You extract the relevant REACH data from Chemical Safety Reports and disseminated REACH files for use in the Umicore safety data sheets and labels, and ensure continued consistency and quality of this information in the case of updates
* You give critical scientific advice in the development of testing strategies for product related matters, and in decisions to be taken on the level of 'license to operate' and/or budget (e.g. need for registration of chemicals, well-balanced decision on testing programs)
* You actively contribute to relevant industry associations and REACH consortia in the role of (eco)toxicology expert to assure that Umicore's interests are adequately addressed
* You interact with external network to ensure the follow up of new scientific developments and legislative evolutions
* You engage with other company and industry product safety experts and toxicologists
* You are constantly in search of competence development in the field of human toxicology and ecotoxicology through continuous updates by participation in external training courses, seminars and/or conferences
Who we are looking for
* You hold a PhD in toxicology, biomedical sciences or environmental sciences, or equivalent through experience
* You have in-depth knowledge of human toxicology and knowledge of ecotoxicology is a strong asset
* You have minimum 5 years experience in a research, consultancy or industrial context
* You have experience with international chemicals management and product safety regulations
* You are able to translate complex scientific/technical concepts into practice and explain it to non-technical people
* You are a teamworker with strong communications skills
* You are fluent in English
What we offer
At Umicore, we aim to lead by example, commit to quality products and services and to our values. Not just for our customers, but for our employees too. That is why we strive to create a collaborative environment in which our people can succeed, and a culture that is open to sharing ideas, develop expertise and careers, coupled to a motivating remuneration package.
If our pioneering approach can make us a leader in sustainability, IMAGINE WHAT YOU COULD DO?