ICT Developer, Brussels & Field
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international humanitarian aid organization that provides assistance in more than 60 countries to populations in distress, to victims of natural or manmade disasters and to victims of armed conflicts, without discrimination and irrespective of origin, religion, creed or political affiliation. To support this work MSF Operational Centre Brussels (OCB) is looking for an: ICT Developer (m/f/x)
Integrated within the headquarters ICT Systems & Applications team, the ICT Analyst/Developer will support his colleagues in the development of in-house projects and application technical support both for the headquarters in Brussels as for MSF’s field operations. She/he will gradually work the whole software development life cycle of the projects, including business analysis and application architecture design. A great challenge of IT at MSF is to provide services where the conditions of use are unstable such as low, intermittent and often expensive connectivity, secure contexts and extreme sensitivity of data, or harsh environmental conditions.
The application domains consist mainly of medical (eHealth, mobile data collection), operational (information and decision support systems) HR and financial applications. We strongly believe that the application of recent technologies to the humanitarian field allows us to optimize our actions and operations.
We expect the ICT Developer to work closely with the other members of the team (program/project managers, integrators/developers, senior users) on the following duties:
● Assisting in the definition of the business case and functional requirements for innovative projects and translating them into precise technical requirements;
● Full-stack development of new applications: starting from the technical requirements, you will design, implement, document and finally deploy new applications and services requested by our operations;
● Providing training and supporting the end-users, both in our headquarters and in our field operations;
● Supporting the formulation of our long-term technical strategies, policies, and procedures.
We are looking for a forward thinking and enthusiastic candidate, inspired by MSF’s social mission, and eager to leverage digital technologies for enhancing humanitarian action.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
● Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems Management, or related fields.
● Experience of at least 3 years in software development / application support / business analysis.
● Experience with MSF or other NGO’s in similar contexts will be an advantage.
● Languages: good command of English; French is an asset.
● Solid knowledge of the software development lifecycle
● Good understanding and experience with Web Services: GraphQL, REST, SOAP
● Experience with web application programming and architecture
● Experience in database design, development and strong SQL programming skills
● Experience with web & Application Servers (Apache, Tomcat, NGinx)
● A working knowledge of Linux, Docker, CI/CD principles, version control using Git
● The candidate adheres to the MSF principles and to our managerial values: Respect, Transparency, Integrity, Accountability, Trust and Empowerment and to the MSF Behavioral Commitment.
· Open-ended contract - full time - Based in Brussels (Ixelles) with visits to the Field (20%)
· Hospital Insurance (DKV) – Pension plan – 100% reimbursement for public transportation cost
· Starting date: as soon as possible.