Head of In Vitro iADME
Head of In Vitro iADME
Date: Jun 5, 2019
Location: Braine L'alleud, Walloon Brabant, BE
Our challenge. Your impact.
We aspire to be the Patient Centric global Biopharmaceutical leader, transforming the lives of people with severe diseases and need exceptional individuals to achieve this goal.
We are looking for enthusiastic and talented professionals who thrive on challenge and change, who want to make a difference and deliver results.
Based at our largest European manufacturing site in Braine l'Alleud (Belgium), we are currently seeking a Head Of In vitro iADME.
This position is a scientific and strategic position in the Global iADME group which is a part of Development Sciences at New Medicines, UCB, UK, reporting directly to Head of Global iADME.
The ideal candidate thrives in a collaborative work environment and is skilled at working for multiple projects concurrently along the full value chain from early discovery to post marketing. In addition, the candidate will be a highly motivated individual who leads and enjoys having broad responsibilities and opportunities as well as being able to provide clear scientific and strategic direction, including novel methodologies and platforms using state of the art technologies for the assessment of ADME properties of our pipeline.
The Director/AssDir will ensure a close relationship within the Development Science organization as well as other departments in New Meds and use his/her expert in-depth knowledge of drug metabolism and transporter processes, enzyme / transporter expression needed to outline drug disposition in preclinical species as well as in humans.
Examples of initial responsibilities will be a focus on leading the development of in vitro and in vivo models to (i) understand and predict human metabolic/non-metabolic clearance for projects in UCB therapeutic areas Immunology & Bone and Neurology, and (ii) assess and predict the pharmacokinetics of NCEs targeting the CNS, to support the Neuroscience portfolio. These responsibilities requires knowledge in both metabolic and non-metabolic elimination pathways as well as interpreting results for strategic translation from preclinical knowledge to humans.
The role also requires awareness of national/international regulatory principles and guidelines regarding assessment of ADME/DMPK properties of molecules to ensure an effective planning, performance and interpretation of regulatory ADME studies in close collaboration with Clinical pharmacology during the late stage projects and post-marketing.
The position is a Global managerial contribution
* A Manager for staff both in Braine (Belgium) and in Slough (UK)
* He/she will ensure a highly innovative mindset among staff and guide development of new assays in the DMPK/ADME arena
* Tactically assign resources (personnel, space, and equipment), implement programs, and drive process improvement to assure financial and budget expectations are met.
* Ensure quality and timely delivery of the project deliverables
* Responsible for overseeing performance of group personnel; Coach younger staff to foster a highly innovative mindset and guide development of new assays, being a role model for scientific excellence as well as promote full career development potential
* He/she contributes to the overall assignments of the leadership team in Global iADME
* Increase ADME/DMPK visibility (internally & externally) by demonstrating scientific excellence and credibility, representing UCB in conferences, act as committee member on external scientific boards and organizations and engage in collaborations with academic institutions
* Show ability to champion and develop new scientific or process strategic directions
* Interact with and influence key collaborators/stakeholders and leaders across New Medicines for an overall understanding of the science needed to progress the UCB pipeline
* Contribute to clinical plans, regulatory communications and submission documents
* Preferably documented track record of > 10 years experiences in the area of DMPK/ADME and excellent knowledge in ADME/Enzymology/Drug Transporters and to couple data to optimization/selection of NCE, both in discovery and development
* A proven track record of leading, understanding and hands-on for drug metabolism and pharmacokinetics, both in vitro and in vivo studies including human PK prediction, QWBA, DDI prediction and mechanistic understanding to support late stage programs
* In-depth knowledge of laboratory equipment and instrumentation
* Track record on determination of studies using non-labeled and ^14C and ^3H-labeled compounds in animals and humans
* Understanding and experience in PBPK modeling
* Proven skills for in depth mechanistic understanding of DMPK related issue and of the impact and value of translation to humans
* Knowledge of the drug development processes in Pharma Industry environment.
* Demonstrated managerial and leadership skills
* Ph. D. degree in Pharmaceutics, Pharmacology, Drug metabolism and Pharmacokinetics, with > 7 years of Post-Doctoral Industrial experience
* Or a related degree with > 10 years' industrial experience in the area of DMPK science
Technical Skills and detailed job description:
* Propose and evaluate new technologies, techniques, study designs or equipment in the DMPK area
* Ensure the scientific quality and expertise of the global in vitro ADME group.
* Proactive in science and project meetings, and Development Science meetings, with scientific input, solutions, and alternative approaches picked up from literature
* Will champion and develop new scientific strategic directions within DMPK area, specifically for enzymatic and transporter interactions and DDI
* Keep abreast of literature; interact with peers in the DMPK and biotransformation scientific arena.
* Basic skills in bioanalytical scientific area
* Publish and/or present at conferences on a regular basis.
* Strong communication and collaborative skills together with a driving performance and a decisively way of acting are necessary abilities in a creative and team oriented working environment
* Good intercultural understanding.
* Strong and mature leadership and influencing skills.
* Fluent spoken and written English.
Job Segment: Neurology, Immunology, Law, Instrumentation, Healthcare, Legal, Research, Engineering