Head of Li-ion battery precursor precipitation competence center
Research & Development
Reducing harmful vehicle emissions. Giving new life to used metals. Powering the cars of the future. As a global materials and technology group, we apply our specialist knowledge to offer materials and solutions that are essential to everyday life.
About Research & Development
Driving progress through research. Providing material solutions for the world's most pressing challenges and anticipating the needs of our customers requires a high level of investment in research. Umicore's Group Research capabilities focus on new materials and processes to address the megatrends of resource scarcity and clean mobility. The nature of research and development means that we cannot stand still. We need to find new ways to do things, discover new solutions and develop new ideas. Which is where you come in.
What you will be doing
One central competence area of Umicore Group Research & Development is focused on the development of active materials for energy storage applications.You will manage and coordinate a portfolio of projects in the field of battery materials precursors precipitation. By monitoring progress and adjusting project priorities and resource needs, you will ensure that the projects meet their objectives within the defined time, scope and budget. The projects are program- or competence-driven and run across the borders of Group Research and development, business unit Rechargeable Battery Materials and external partnerships. The activity field spans from fundamental research to industrialization.
The strategic focus of the function is to establish and maintain a profound base of precursor expertise in the Li-ion area and to broaden and deepen the competences in the field of precursor precipitation, with the following objectives:
* identify certain 'precursor trends' in an early stage
* adapt and re-direct the internal and external R&D activities smoothly in response to certain dynamics in the market
* pro-actively come up with precursor innovations
* industrialize new precursor and precipitation concepts/technologies
* You manage a specific set of research activities (program- or competence-driven) in all its aspects (definition, budgeting, implementation and follow up) in line with the present and future needs of the business unit
* You coordinate the activities of the competence center across the organization (Group R&D, business unit and external partners), in order to achieve excellence both in service and technology
* You further develop the competence area by following the latest developments and demonstrated best practices within that area through networking and/or external partnerships
* You coordinate transfer of knowledge between the different stakeholder to ensure timely industrialization of new technologies and new precursors
* You manage the communication process towards your superiors, team members, co-workers and (internal) customers related to the research projects.
* You develop and maintain an internal and external international network and share expertise with your colleagues
Who we are looking for
* You have a PhD in sciences/technology/engineering with over 5 years working experience within the domain of cross-functional research program management, and a strong expertise in precipitation/crystallization/inorganic chemistry.
* Knowledge of Li-ion battery materials, manufacturing processes or product design is a strong asset, as well as experience with upscaling of manufacturing processes and industrialization.
* You have good skills in program management, organizing, planning and coordination. Good and proven internal & external networking skills and business acumen is a strong asset.
* You have experience in managing global research programs with significant financial value and complicated structure; experience in managing multi-cultural team is an asset.
* You can lead cross-functional teams and promote inter-team cooperation to guide scientists, project managers and their teams towards successful execution of the project within the portfolio.
* You have a strong drive for innovation and change and a broad and deep interest in relevant technical and business field.
* You are fluent in English, knowledge of Dutch is an asset.
* You are prepared to accomplish missions abroad.
* You are able to give firm advice to the Business Units even when the decision/advice taken still encounters residual risks. You will manage expectations.
What we offer
At Umicore, we aim to lead by example, commit to quality products and services and to our values. Not just for our customers, but for our employees too. That is why we strive to create a collaborative environment in which our people can succeed, and a culture that is open to sharing ideas, develop expertise and careers, coupled to a motivating remuneration package.
If our expertise can help improve battery performance, IMAGINE WHAT YOU COULD DO?