Global Vaccines External Communications Director
* Requisition ID: WD174034
* Position: Full-Time Regular
* Open date: Jul 9, 2018 8:37 AM
* Functional area: Communications
* Required degrees: Not Indicated
Select Locale Email a friend
This role is responsible for planning, development and delivery of strategic communications to support GSK's Vaccine business and its priority brands. This includes broad portfolio- and product-specific or disease awareness programs that deliver effective and impactful external communication, to enhance understanding and build trust with key stakeholders, and to protect the reputation of GSK and its Vaccines business. This role is responsible for developing the above brand communications strategy for the broad GSK Vaccine portfolio and the communications strategy for major GSK vaccines, including traditional and digital media channels. It is also responsible for directly creating and delivering external communication at a global level and supporting communication activities undertaken by GSK Local Operating Companies (LOCs) or regions, and includes management and prevention of issues impacting the relevant vaccines.
- Develop and implement global external communication plans and narrative for GSK vaccines, aligned to the business strategy and commercial priorities. This includes creating and adapting communication plans, delivering compelling and relevant story-based content to drive more consistent and effective engagement with external audiences, and identifying and optimizing opportunities across all media types
- Deliver strategic communication plans and materials (including approval and dissemination) to support (in close collaboration with the LOCs and regional teams) communications activities within the markets to ensure consistent and successful implementation of the disease area / vaccines communication strategy, facilitating adaptation and localisation in countries around the world.
- Help to maintain and deliver strategic newsflow by maintaining an editorial calendar (integrated into the wider Vaccines External Communications and corporate calendar of activities) and working with subject matter experts to contribute content that supports communication strategies
- Anticipate and prepare for product/therapy area issues to enable rapid and appropriate response. Lead the development of communications materials for LOC communicators and global (above country) media relations
- Support and align communications activities with key external organisations and third parties
- Oversee communications agency involvement in the development and execution of relevant communications plans and materials, including effective and cost-conscious budget management
- Generate meaningful insights that help inform strategy and action to better meet customer and business needs, monitor and evaluate programme uptake, and assess outcomes and effectiveness of communications activities with a focus on digital media and channels.
- Work in partnership with the internal communications team to ensure alignment, increase employee advocacy internally and externally to support the Global Vaccines business and priority vaccine brands
- Strategically integrate functional external communications under one umbrella story to create a 360 degree approach for external communication, involving traditional and digital media channels and oversee global digital communication strategy and implementation
- Lead a team of experienced communication professionals in day to day work as well as personal development and grow individuals inside the organization.
- Ensure all communications programs are compliant with GSK codes of conduct, ethics and values
Why You?Basic qualifications:
- University degree or equivalent
- Extensive pharmaceutical product and / or global health communications (industry, in-house, or agency) experience and a comprehensive understanding of the (highly regulated) pharmaceutical industry, including the regulatory environment and processes
- Excellent English verbal and written skills, with strong business acumen and understanding of the commercial environment. Demonstrated creative approach to communications, ability and willingness to explore new tools and communication pathways
- A strong understanding of traditional and social media and media relations
- Strong experience leading on issues and crisis management
- Strong experience of developing, implementing and measuring external communications strategies and tactics that support commercial objectives
- The ability to evaluate and apply sound judgment in all situations, particularly when handling sensitive and / or confidential information
- High personal accountability and integrity, well rounded people management skills and outstanding focus on supporting and developing a range of different co-workers, direct and indirect reports
- Track record of successful stakeholder engagement and achieving results in cross functional teams and matrixes, and in cross-company collaborations
- Ideally strong experience with communicating technically complex content to a wide variety of audiences (technical experts to laymen) in a relevant and impactful way
* Sound judgement, with high personal and business integrity
* Strong oral and written communication and presentation skills - fluent or native English speaker and writer
* Creativity and willingness to seek out new opportunities for communication (stories, channels, audiences)
* Excellent interpersonal and "people" skills that allow to work effectively in a matrix team with members that are distributed across the globe, as well as effectively managing a team of experienced communicators
* Strong organisational skills with attention to detail
* Demonstrated strategic thinking with ability to efficiently solve complex problems
* Ability to take a global view with the ability to understand and adapt to regional / local needs and deliver against the business needs with a customer-centric mindset
* Agility, flexibility and being self-motivated; able to remain focused and achieve goals in a complex matrix organisation
* Role to be based at the global Vaccines Headquarters in Wavre, Belgium
At GSK we provide a supportive working environment, and a range of development challenges and opportunities. We also offer competitive benefits and compensation packages designed to attract and to retain the very best. GSK is proud to promote an open culture, encouraging people to be themselves and giving their ideas a chance to flourish. GSK is an equal opportunity employer.
Once our pioneering treatments have been developed, they are manufactured to the highest standards and distributed across the regions that need them most. Accomplishing this as efficiently and quickly as possible can quite literally be a matter of life and death. So it's no wonder that more than 70% of our talented workforce is based within Global Industrial Operations - the essential business unit that manufactures and manages the entire vaccine supply process, from customer order to product dispatch on a global scale.
As the name suggests, it operates in a multi-national context across more than 17 sites around the world, working closely in tandem with colleagues from a variety of disciplines and professions.
The department is structured in operating units that focus on various aspects of the manufacturing and supply process. These include Industrialisation (overseeing the transfer of production from R&D to a commercial level), Supply Chain Management and Technical Services.
GSK is one of the world's leading research-based pharmaceutical and healthcare companies - is committed to improving the quality of human life by enabling people to do more, feel better and live longer.
GSK Vaccines is one of the world's leading vaccine companies, with a comprehensive portfolio of 39 vaccines for infants, adolescents and adults and 15 more in development. We have more than 16,000 people working worldwide to deliver nearly 2 (1.9) million vaccines every day to people in around 90% (172) of the world's countries.
For further information, please visit www.gsk.com.