Expert Scientist Bioinformatics
* Requisition ID: WD156625
* Position: Full-Time Regular
* Open date: Feb 13, 2018 12:03 PM
* Functional area: Science and Technology
* Required degrees: Not Indicated
Select Locale Email a friend
* The successful candidate will perform customized and state of the art Bioinformatics analyses and results interpretation in support of transversal vaccine R&D department
* The incumbent will be expected to understand and use state-of-the-art concepts in the fields of computational biology, algorithmic Bioinformatics and Biostatistics.
* The incumbent will support molecular biology data generation and management, as well as lead the analysis and interpretation of experimental results including quality controls and performance metrics from a range of instruments ( PCR, Microarray, NGS, ..).
* An additional focus of the role will be to develop large scale analytical pipelines for the analysis of large number of NGS samples. To achieve this the incumbent will be writing scripts/ optimizing / developing tools, as well as implementing software and packages from external sources.
Why You?Basic qualifications:
* Ph.D. or equivalent experience in Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, Engineering, Molecular Biology, Genetics, or a similar discipline with a strong focus on Biological data analysis and interpretation.
* The successful applicant needs to show strong experience using a diversity of scientific software, ability to develop analysis workflows and aptitude for biological data interpretation.
Knowledge in the field of Bioinformatics:
* Hands on experience in multi-Omic (DNA, RNA, Epigenetic, Proteomics) data Integration and Analysis. Working knowledge of commercial and publicly available biological databases including NCBI, Ensembl, ArrayExpress/GEO, SRA, TCGA, 1000 Genomes etc...
* Gene and protein sequence analysis and annotation, integration of theoretical and experimental data supporting gene expression optimization.
* Proficiency using R and Bioconductor packages - Scripting and programming in languages such as Python, Perl or R to develop and implement pipelines for analysis or to optimize available tools.
* Knowledge of other languages, such as Java or C/C++ would also be an advantage.
* Experience in Scientific software development, basic Immunology and structural Bioinformatics would be an asset.
* The incumbent should have good communication skills in English and an open, proactive personality essential to work within an international researchers community.
* The incumbent will be well organized, open-minded, able to work on different projects in parallel, and have a user-orientated spirit.
* In addition to excellent analytical, organizational and team-working skills, the candidate will need to have an innovative approach to problem solving and be able to work both independently and as part of an interdisciplinary team.
* Commitment to solving biological problems and communicating these solutions. Proven success in independent efforts and delivering high quality data with biological relevance to customers.
* Experience working in complex, matrix organizations expected.
At GSK we provide a supportive working environment, and a range of development challenges and opportunities. We also offer competitive benefits and compensation packages designed to attract and to retain the very best. GSK is proud to promote an open culture, encouraging people to be themselves and giving their ideas a chance to flourish. GSK is an equal opportunity employer.
Patient-focused Research and Development (R&D) is the heart of our business. Our R&D department seeks to discover and develop new vaccines, to protect against diseases where vaccines are not yet available and to improve on those vaccines that already exist. Part of our R&D programme targets diseases particularly prevalent in the developing world, including the World Health Organisation's three priority diseases - HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria. Research into candidate vaccines for other diseases of the developing world, such as dengue are at an earlier stage of development.
When it comes to developing the vaccines of the future, we're looking for real experts in their respective fields who are interested in working in the stimulating environment of an international healthcare company.
We emphasise the value of teamwork and we look for people ready to share our values of transparency, respect, integrity and patient focus.
GSK is one of the world's leading research-based pharmaceutical and healthcare companies - is committed to improving the quality of human life by enabling people to do more, feel better and live longer.
GSK Vaccines is one of the world's leading vaccine companies, with a comprehensive portfolio of 39 vaccines for infants, adolescents and adults and 15 more in development. We have more than 16,000 people working worldwide to deliver nearly 2 (1.9) million vaccines every day to people in around 90% (172) of the world's countries.
For further information, please visit www.gsk.com.