European Patent Attorney
Locations: Beerse, Belgium
Start a new job search
Apply Get Referred
Requisition ID: 1805682943W
The Law Department is recruiting for a European Patent Attorney to be located at the Janssen Pharmaceutica NV campus in Beerse, Belgium. The position reports to a Senior Director Patent Law EMEA. The job description appears below. If you would like to make a referral or bid on the job, please note that the job requisition ID is 1805682943W.
* Pro-actively look for inventions within Janssen and create and maintain awareness about use and necessity of patent applications among Janssen employees in order to ensure that new inventions are timely identified by or communicated to the IP department in order to file patent applications.
* Perform thorough analysis on prior art in order to fully understand the technical and commercial value of the invention and in order to be able to determine the optimal scope of the patent application.
* Prepare, draft, prosecute and ensure filing and maintenance of patent applications in order to secure protection for Janssen inventions in the form of Intellectual Property. Preferably, the candidate possesses the initiative and experience required to administer a patent portfolio with the minimum of supervision.
* Interact with internal Janssen clients and discuss research projects, inventions and developments with these clients in order to advise on the 'freedom-to-operate' thereof as well as on the patent exclusivity that such developments enjoy.
* Participate in business development by providing expert advice in license negotiations with other companies and analyze any format agreements with these companies in order to defend and support Janssen's interests in the domain of patents.
* Provide IP related support in research and development collaborations between Janssen R&D and 3^rd parties.
* Pro-actively monitor, identify and analyze changes, developments and trends in case-law and patent legislation, in Europe, the USA and PCT, in order to timely redirect existing or new Janssen patent applications to these developments.
* Pro-actively monitor competitor moves and positions regarding patents in order to timely identify any potential violation of Janssen patents and in order to be able to take timely appropriate or corrective actions.
* Develop and verify respect for IP related processes and procedures, within the own department but as well within the other departments (laboratory notebooks, document retention, …) in order to ensure a correct, uniform and qualitative approach to patent applications.
* At least Masters, preferably Ph.D. Degree, in life sciences, pharmacy or chemistry.
* At least 5 years of experience in patent practice and passed in full the European Qualifying Exam - partial pass or a national qualification will also be considered.
* An accredited law degree (LLB or LLM) is an advantage.
* A demonstrated competency in the field of pharmaceutical drug discovery, development, and commercialization is an advantage.
* Substantial experience drafting and prosecuting pharmaceutical-related patent applications is preferred.
* Proficient knowledge of English.
* Excellent inter-personal and communication skills allowing to relate easily at all levels within the organization, particularly to those in the R&D functions.
* Be flexible, adaptable and comfortable working within a multicultural, high-achieving company with high standards of ethics and Credo behaviour.
* Be prepared to travel as and when the occasion demands.
Janssen Pharmaceutica N.V. (7555)