Engineering Branch Manager-190099
Salary (Pay Basis)
: 9,079.00Euro (EUR) Monthly
This post is to be filled as soon as possible and will expire 31 December 2020.
NAGSMA is offering a definite duration contract only through 31 December 2020.
This is a position within the NATO Alliance Ground Surveillance Management Agency (NAGSMA), an organization of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO);
NAGSMA is a NATO body chartered to procure and field the NATO-owned and operated Alliance Ground Surveillance (AGS) core capability;
This post is assigned to the NAGSMA Programme Management Division (PMD), and in accordance with the NATO Alliance Ground Surveillance Management Organization (NAGSMO) Board of Directors (BoD) approved October, 2018 NAGSMA Staffing Plan combines the previous Technical Branch (TB) and Operations & Support Branch (OSB) into the Engineering Branch (EB) under a single A5 Manager position. The EB:
* Is mandated to confirm that contract deliverables are compliant to the Statement of Work (SOW), Technical Requirements Document (TRD), and other Core Contract reference documents as required;
* Is structured to manage contract activities of the air, ground, and support segments and is dedicated to entity and system level design, development, integration, testing, certification, accreditation, handover, and Initial In-Service Support;
* Is responsible for ensuring that all production deliveries are compliant to the production and acceptance processes defined in the contract and meet all performance objectives of the contract;
* Is responsible for defining and implementing AGS Programme Integrated Logistics Support (ILS);
* Is responsible to act as NAGSMA's Subject Matter Expert (SME) level interface to AGS Stakeholders across NATO including the NATO AGS Force (NAGSF), NATO Communications and Information Agency (NCIA), the NATO Support and Procurement Agency (NSPA), Main Operating Base (MOB) territorial host nation (HN), Italy MoD DAAA for airworthiness certification, and other Stakeholder entities as required.
The incumbent will:
* Direct systems engineering processes to ensure the timely satisfaction of AGS Core System (includes the AGS Core Contract and all Industrial Participation (IP) contracts) operational requirements and that the related technical, functional and performance requirements are correctly reflected in the system architecture and hardware/software design as implemented and tested in the final product.
* Define objectives, develops related plans, and manages their implementation. He/she keeps the Programme Manager and Chief Engineer informed of progress and issues that may arise in the area of systems engineering, test, verification, accreditation, and certification (including airworthiness certification). He/she also is responsible for the integrity and interoperability of the AGS core system, including ensuring interoperability with interoperable NATO and national assets;
* Direct oversight of AGS Core production readiness, product acceptance, system testing and evaluation program including the monitoring, assessment and reporting of achievements and trade-offs.
* Represent NAGSMA at AGS IPT/Users/Ops/MOB working groups and activities to ensure appropriate translation of user requirements into technical design and advise on trade-offs between user requirements, technical design and operational performance;
* Ensure the definition of the ILS concept and the definition & implementation of the Logistic Information System (LIS) and the Initial In-Service-Support (I-ISS) for initial Operations and Support of the AGS Core System.
* Assume the duties of the PM in his absence (on official notice).
* Under the direction of the Programme Manager and/or the Chief Engineer the incumbent will perform duties such as the following:
* Overseeing the overall technical development, engineering, testing, acceptance, and ILS activities of the AGS core system Programme, including monitoring, assessment and reporting of achievements, tracking metrics, and trade-offs;
* Directing the Integrated Logistics Lead to interpret user requirements into technical requirements and assess their impact on technical requirements/design changes;
* Monitoring and, when appropriate, direct Industries in the system and hardware design as well as the development of functional and performance specifications throughout the AGS core system development phase;
* Overseeing the review and acceptance of contract deliverables arising from the contract, to ensure that Industry has correctly interpreted the relevant technical requirements and in accordance with the Statement of Work (SOW);
* Overseeing the system wide integration of software and hardware;
* Overseeing AGS core system testing and evaluation program and ensuring that performance requirements are met;
* Overseeing the Certification process as related to the NATO Configuration of the flight related assets, and interfacing as appropriate with the identified Certification Authority(s);
* Ensuring the integrity of the AGS core system and its interoperability with interoperable NATO and national assets;
* Initiating change requests to AGS core system contract and/or technically evaluating engineering change proposals generated by industry; Advise the PM and Chief Engineer of the operational impact on technical requirements/design changes;
* Co-chairing major technical reviews at System level, to include all Design, Test and technically oriented Production Reviews and recommending milestone payments based on technical achievement;
* Overseeing ILS activity through the planning, analysis, design, development, integration, test, validation and acceptance of the AGS Core System and the Main Operating Base (MOB) build up;
* Assigning staff to the various Integrated Product Teams (IPT) overseeing the review and acceptance of contract deliverables, to ensure that the prime contractor has correctly interpreted the relevant Ops, Infrastructure and ILS requirements in accordance with the AGS Core contract;
* Overseeing the system wide ILS concept and the definition and implementation of all I-ISS contract;
* Represent NAGSMA to external NATO and Industry Stakeholders;
* Assist Strategic Commands with issues related to basing, logistics, training and schedule;
* Ensure coordination with and appropriate representation at the Main Operating Base (MOB), its territorial Host Nation and the Infrastructure Built Up IPT (IB-IPT) for infrastructure issues;
* Resource planning and assignment within the Engineering Branch;
* Preparing the Engineering Branch budgets estimates;
* Planning, tasking, monitoring and approving Engineering Branch staff activities and products;
* Evaluating Engineering Branch Staff performance, and conducting annual Staff Assessments;
* Performing other related duties as required.
Experience and Education:
* A university degree, (preferably equivalent to a Master's Degree), in an Engineering science (e.g., Aerospace, Mechanical) or other technical degree (e.g., Systems Engineering, Mathematics, Physics).
* At least 10 years of practical experience in analysis of user requirements of modern Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance (ISR) systems;
* Proven management abilities gained in a senior acquisition or logistics post or command function in a national or international defence organisation;
* Experience in and up-to-date knowledge of military functions supported by an ISR capability;
* Have direct engineering management experience in the NATO AGS Programme or other High-Altitude Long Endurance (HALE) or Medium-Altitude Long Endurance (MALE) Unmanned Aircraft System (UAS) defense program. This is due to the limited time remaining to deliver the AGS Core System and the planned liquidation of NAGSMA as a NATO Agency.
* Knowledge of the key tenets of Integrated Logistics Support (ILS), Contractor Logistics Support (CLS) and their application in support of modern weapon systems;
* Knowledge of the NATO Organisation and NATO Security Investment Programme (NSIP);
* Leadership and management experience of technical teams in large scale / complex system projects, and the ability to work well in an international multifaceted team, and with commercial contractors;
* Ability to exercise personal authority in his/her field of activity, and to direct and supervise an integrated engineering team.
Desirable Experience and Education:
* Direct experience in engineering and engineering management of UAS programmes;
* Have a current Programme Management qualification (PMI, PRINCE2 or equivalent) or a proven record of Program Management of significant national/international programmes;
* Have experience in and maintained an up-to-date knowledge of technical functions supporting military operations in the field of ISR;
* Knowledge of NATO AGS core system and/or of national ISR systems technical requirements;
* Knowledge of the NATO Organization and its procedures is most desirable;
* Knowledge/involvement in international ISR interoperability programmes;
* Knowledge/involvement in certification activities.
* The incumbent must have a thorough knowledge of the English language, which is the official working language of the organisation. He/she will be called upon to deal with complex problems and to draw up documents in English.
* NOTE: All of the work of the NAGSMA is conducted in the English language.
Competencies or Personal Attributes:
The incumbent should possess the personal qualities of tact, judgement and adaptability as well as good political awareness and motivational and listening skills. In addition, a sense of diplomacy and propriety in order to work harmoniously with colleagues and other staff, both civilian and military, from NATO and the NATO nations, as well as with staff from private scientific/industrial organisations is needed.
Frequent travel expected to visit industry, AGS MOB and other NATO facilities/agencies.
The Engineering Branch Manager:
* Liaises with members of the Agency, as required, on matters related to AGS Core systems matters;
* Maintains working relationship with relevant personnel at NATO and National Agencies including, but not limited to NCIA, NSPA, ITA DAAA;
* Co-ordinates with the Programme Control Branch and the routine exchange of information with the Contractor;
The incumbent shall provide professional guidance and instruction to the Engineering Branch, he/she supervises all personnel assigned to the Engineering Branch:
Working Environment: Normal office environment.
Security Clearance Level: NATO Secret
Most of the work of the NAGSMA is conducted in the English language, and therefore a thorough knowledge of English, both written and spoken, is essential.
What do we offer?
* Excellent tax-free salary, including (where eligible) expatriation household and family allowances and additional privileges for expatriate staff.
* Education allowance for children (where appropriate) and an excellent private health insurance scheme;
* Generous annual leave and home leave (if eligible).
* Retirement Pension Plan.
To learn more about NAGSMA and our work, please visit our website
Please note that only nationals of the NATO AGS Participating Nations are eligible to apply for NAGSMA posts.
This includes nationals of: Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Germany, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Norway, Poland, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia and United States of America.
Note: Due to the anticipated closure of the Agency, the contract offered to a successful candidate is limited to 31 December 2020.