Engineer (Information Systems)
Engineer (Information Systems)-190825
NATO Communications and Information Agency (NCI Agency)
Salary (Pay Basis)
: 5,467.45Euro (EUR) Monthly
NATO offers you more than a job. It gives you a mission: building peace and security for one billion people in Europe and North America. The NATO Communications & Information Agency is leading NATO's Digital Endeavour. We are NATO's technology and cyber leaders, helping NATO Nations to communicate and work together in smarter ways. Our work is challenging and meaningful, and you will develop and apply your expertise as part of a dynamic international team of civilian and military professionals. Come and be part of the most successful alliance in history.
NCI Agency CIS Support Unit (CSU) Mons, located in Mons (BE) enables end-to-end CIS services as it maintains and supports a range of CIS capabilities during peacetime, crisis and war throughout its allocated Area of Responsibility (AOR) and as otherwise directed as specified in the extant SHAPE SLA.
The Service Management Branch (SMB) supports the Agency's Chief Operating Officer (COO), Operations Centre, and Service Lines, is responsible for liaison with all NCI Agency customers in the CSU's AOR, supports the CSU Commander in the role as NCI Agency representative and provides a single entry point for customers. SMB contributes and/or conducts monitoring and measurement of customer satisfaction. SMB supports the management of all agreements concerning Service Provision, Operations and Exercises within the CSU AOR. SMB supports Service Lines in the implementation and improvement of service management processes. This branch directs, co-ordinates and supervises all activities of the CSU's assigned resources in support of Exercises, Operations, Plans, Requirements, Project and Service Management. SMB reports appropriate Key Performance Indicators to Service Lines on a regular basis.
The NCI Agency is looking for a talented multi-disciplined Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) Engineer with demonstrable practical experience in modern network operating systems, LAN and WAN infrastructure, network cabling infrastructure and voice and radio communications systems to join the CIS Support Unit in Mons, Belgium. If you have relevant education combined with the requirements of the post, we would like to meet you!
Under the direction of the Section Head Customer Relationship Management but largely on your own initiative, you will perform duties such as the following:
* Provide technical direction and engineering guidance to ensure timely delivery of service to customers;
* Investigate, define and resolve complex issues that impede agreed performance of services and processes;
* Advise on and lead the development of performance standards, methods and tools;
* Analyse plans, designs and requirements for associated risks, advise on solutions and mitigations;
* Design and plan implementations against time, cost, manpower and quality targets ensuring efficient and effective use of resources;
* Initiate technical, cost and manpower assessments for existing and emerging requirements;
* Engage with Service Lines, CSU elements and enablers for planning and prioritization;
* Plan and manage assigned local projects. Advise on technical aspects of service provision and delivery;
* Ensure CSU project management activities and teams perform in accordance with Agency directives and processes;
* Stay abreast of developments in ITIL and Project Management methodologies and tools and technology developments relevant to the CSU's area of work. Supports the development and implementation of Agency Service Management directives and processes applicable to the CSU;
* Validate resource requirements formulated by the CSU, correlate them to short and long term NCI Agency strategy, and coordinate the preparation of financial planning documents and their defence;
* Advise on technical possibilities within the NCI Agency service portfolio, ensuring that requirements are understood, captured, exploited and coordinated with the Service Lines to support the expected customer outcomes;
* Provide technical, managerial and policy advice to his/her Branch Head;
* Assigned role as Service Delivery Manager for non-standard local services. Manage full lifecycle of the local services;
* Advise requestors in formulating, completing and correcting Service Requirement demands before submission to the Agency;
* Deputize for higher grade staff, if required;
* Perform other duties, as required.
Qualifications and experience required
Master of Science (MSc) degree at a nationally recognized / certified university a related discipline and 2 years post-related experience or a Bachelor of Science (BSc) degree at a nationally recognized / certified university in a related discipline and 4 years post related experience. Exceptionally, the lack of a university/college degree may be compensated by the demonstration of a candidate's particular abilities or experience that is / are of interest to NCI Agency; that is, at least 10 years extensive and progressive expertise in the duties related to the function of the post.
Multi-disciplined Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) Engineer with demonstrable practical experience in the following areas:
* Modern network operating systems;
* LAN and WAN infrastructure;
* Network cabling infrastructure;
* Voice and Radio communications systems;
* PRINCE2 Foundation certification or equivalent;
* Knowledge of service delivery management;
* Proven ability to effectively communicate orally and in writing, with good communication skills.
The following will be considered as an advantage:
* Prior experience of working in an international environment comprising both military and civilian elements;
* Knowledge of NATO responsibilities and organization, including ACO and ACT;
* Linux operating systems;
* Development and management of database systems;
* Scripting languages such as Python and PHP;
* Audio-visual infrastructure;
* Multimedia and Internet Protocol TV (IPTV) systems.
Applying Expertise and Technology - Applies specialist and detailed technical expertise; uses technology to achieve work objectives; develops job knowledge and expertise (theoretical and practical) through continual professional development; demonstrates an understanding of different organisational departments and functions;
Relating and Networking - Easily establishes good relationships with customers and staff; relates well to people at all levels; builds wide and effective networks of contacts; uses humour appropriately to bring warmth to relationships with others;
Writing and Reporting - Writes convincingly; writes clearly, succinctly and correctly; avoids the unnecessary use of jargon or complicated language; writes in a well-structured and logical way; structures information to meet the needs and understanding of the intended audience;
Analysing - Analyses numerical data and all other sources of information, to break them into component parts, patterns and relationships; probes for further information or greater understanding of a problem; makes rational judgements from the available information and analysis; demonstrates an understanding of how one issue may be a part of a much larger system;
Planning and Organising - Sets clearly defined objectives; plans activities and projects well in advance and takes account of possible changing circumstances; identifies and organises resources needed to accomplish tasks; manages time effectively; monitors performance against deadlines and milestones.
Business travel to NATO and national (NATO and non-NATO) facilities as well as frequent travel between the NCIA offices; you may be required to undertake duty travel to operational theatres inside and outside NATO boundaries.
A thorough knowledge of one of the two NATO languages, both written and spoken, is essential and some knowledge of the other is desirable. NOTE: Most of the work of the NCI Agency is conducted in the English language.
NCI Agency normally offers contracts of employment of a definite duration, not exceeding three years. Contracts may be for less than three years as required to support short-term projects, meet uncertainty with respect to the business outlook, staff performance and other factors.
Definite duration contracts may be extended for further periods. When extending contracts, the following is taken into consideration:
* Renewal is in the interest of the Agency;
* Staff member's desire to remain with the Agency;
* The financial situation provides sufficient funding for the post held;
* The skills, competencies and behaviours, potential and work experience of the staff, versus the requirements of the Agency's work and/or availability of funding;
* Staff member has served the Agency with performance to the required standard as defined by the Agency;
* Staff member's deployability to operational theatre.
Serving civilian members of NATO will be offered a contract in accordance with the NATO Civilian Personnel Regulations.
The first six months of definite duration contracts are a probationary period. During this period the staff member's work is assessed to ensure that he/she has the ability to carry out the duties of the post. At or before the end of the probationary period, the staff member will be notified in writing that the appointment is confirmed or terminated or, in exceptional cases, that the probationary period is extended.
Please note: Due to the Agency's transition into a new structure in the near future, this post may be subject to transfer to one of our other locations, as well as to a change of reporting lines. The final decision will be made at the time of a firm offer.
The Agency's recruitment team advises you that due to the large volume of applications it receives the screening process may take up to 2 months after closing date. We appreciate your patience.