Imec leverages its expertise in chip design and technology to develop innovative tools for the life sciences, pharma R&D, clinical diagnostics, therapeutic and surgery, biopharma production and analytical biochemistry industries.
We combine extensive chip manufacturing facilities and bio-lab infrastructure with world-renowned expertise in chip technology, MEMS, bio-electronics, sensors, photonics, imagers, microfluidics, and biosciences. We work with strong, multidisciplinary teams of world-class scientists. This makes us the ideal development and manufacturing partner for your custom smart biochip solutions, from early R&D, design and prototyping to volume manufacturing. We help you bring your innovative product ideas to life.
The value of chip technology
Research and new discoveries in life sciences and biotech have been advancing rapidly, offering solutions with the potential to shape the future of healthcare. Numerous new start-ups and existing companies are exploring new methodologies and are poised to play a crucial role in the future.
These new methods have increasing demands on instrumentation. They require extremely high sensitivity (down to the level of single-molecule interaction to analyze DNA and gene expression), single-cell manipulation, massive parallelization, need for miniaturization, more complex implantable devices, and more.
Silicon chip technology will bring value to your products through:
* Miniaturization and reduced complexity of optics, fluidics and electronics,
* Competitive prices in high-volume manufacturing, enabling disposable solutions,
* Integration of complete workflows resulting in simplified assay testing, reduced human error, and improved compliance in the field,
* Unparalleled precision and reproducibility,
* Excellent optical, thermal and chemical material properties,
* Standard, widely-available CMOS-based chip manufacturing toolset, enabling a mature supply chain,
* Massive parallelization, allowing extreme speed and accuracy,
* Microfluidics integration resulting in small sample volumes, reduced reagent cost, and higher analysis speed, and
* Nanotechnology capabilities enabling molecular interaction
Detecting more than 100,000 biomarkers in less than 5 minutes
* PCR on chip
PCR on chip
Accelerated PCR-based tests on Silicon in minutes
* High-throughput cytometry and cell sorting (FACS)
High-throughput cytometry and cell sorting (FACS)
Sort up to 30 million cells per minute on one cm^2
A whole lab in one cm^2
* Micro-electrode arrays
For high throughput, multi-modal cell interfacing
* Neural probes
The new golden standard in neuroscience
* Smart implantable devices
Smart implantable devices
Minimally invasive implants for extremely accurate stimulation of nerves
For compact and cost-efficient life sciences tools
* Imaging & spectroscopy
Imaging & spectroscopy
Continuously monitoring of life processes without disturbing them
Pushing the boundaries of assay performance
* Genomics and sequencing 4.0
Genomics and sequencing 4.0
Exploiting the power of Silicon nanotechnology in genomics
* Cell and gene therapy
Cell and gene therapy
Silicon paving the way for cell and gene therapies
Raising the golden standard for neuroscience, discovery and electroceuticals
* Medical imaging
Advanced imaging technology for enhanced and compact medical-grade imaging
* Smart medical devices
Smart medical devices
Insertible, digestable and Implantable Medical Devices
* Synthetic biology
Enabling highly accurate, fast DNA/RNA production
Towards high throughput engineering of unculturable bacteria
Work with us
Today, imec is the world's number one player in world-class product-minded R&D, prototyping and production of silicon and nanotechnology for life sciences and healthcare. We work with world-class companies, from ambitious start-ups to established industry leaders, who strive to bring new technologies to healthcare and life sciences.
* Contract R&D from early concept all the way to a qualified product.
* Prototyping and manufacturing
Strategic Research Initiatives:
* Exascience life lab is the joint initiative of Intel, imec, KU Leuven, Ghent University, VUB, VIB and Janssen Pharmaceutica with the objective of exploring the application of High Performance Computing (HPC) to challenges in life sciences.
* Neuro-Electronics Research Flanders (NERF) is a collaborative academic research initiative launched by imec, VIB and KU Leuven that combines molecular, cellular and viral biology, genetics, microscopy, electrophysiology and behavioral studies, with the ultimate goal of gaining a thorough understanding of brain functionality.
* miDIAGNOSTICS, a unique life sciences venture set-up by imec and Johns Hopkins University
* Trinean (acquired by Unchained Labs)
* Imec's policy concerning responsible use of animals in research
Hoe kunnen we u helpen?
Stuur ons uw verzoek
Some examples of what we have done
Kunnen we meten of we gelukkig zijn?
imec Magazine | november 2018
Wanneer kunnen dokters en specialisten DNA-sequencing echt gaan gebruiken in hun praktijk?
imec Magazine | oktober 2018
Als de smog om je hoofd is verdwenen
imec Magazine | oktober 2018
Een grote stap in een kleine wereld: een lensvrije fluorescentiemicroscoop
imec Magazine | oktober 2018
At imec bright people build a bright future.
You could be one of these builders. Whether you are an engineer or an operator, a consultant or PhD student, we need a versatile group of people to help us create positive change.
Join the forward thinkers
User Researcher in domein van Smart Cities
Wil je graag een positieve bijdrage leveren aan het stadsleven, en een brug slaan tussen burgers, de privésector, overheid en de academische wereld in Brussel, Antwerpen en andere Vlaamse steden? Als user researcher smart cities werk je mee aan het samen brengen van mens en innovatie om oplossingen…
As a Mask and Tape Out Engineer you will support designs that involve the most advanced technologies
Test Engineer Health Interoperbility
Are you passionate about health IT? Do you like test and develop tools that have a real impact in the everyday life of patients in Belgium and around the world? Would you love to work in a talented team located in Hasselt and close to home? Then you might be the test engineer we are looking for!
Projectcoördinator City of Things
De projectcoördinator City of Things Antwerp is verantwoordelijk van A tot Z voor het goede verloop en de kwalitatieve oplevering van een project.
Meer jobs bekijken
Ontvang imec updates op maat
Imec Technology Forum updates
Opportuniteiten tot samenwerking
Schrijf je in en kies zelf welke imec updates je wenst te ontvangen.