Director Patent Law
Locations: Beerse, Belgium
Start a new job search
Apply Get Referred
Requisition ID: 1905715439W
For our Patent Law Department in Beerse, Belgium, we are looking for a Patent Attorney who will be responsible for:
* Pro-actively look for inventions within Janssen and create and maintain awareness about use and necessity of patent applications among Janssen employees in order to ensure that new inventions are timely identified by or communicated to the IP department in order to file patent applications.
* Perform thorough analysis of prior art to fully understand the technical and commercial value of the invention and to be able to determine the optimal scope of the patent application.
* Prepare, draft, prosecute and ensure filing and maintenance of patent applications in order to secure protection for Janssen inventions in the form of Intellectual Property. The candidate possesses the initiative and experience required to manage a patent portfolio independently.
* Interact with internal clients and discuss research projects, inventions and developments with these clients in order to advice on 'freedom-to-operate' thereof as well as on the patent exclusivity that such developments enjoy.
* Provide IP related support in R&D collaborations between Janssen and third parties.
* Participate in business development by providing expert advice in license negotiations with other companies and analyze any format agreements with these companies in order to defend and support Janssen's interests in the domain of patents.
* Pro-actively monitor, identify and analyze changes, developments and trends in case-law and patent legislation, in Europe, the USA and PCT, in order to timely redirect existing or new Janssen patent applications to these developments.
* Pro-actively monitor competitor moves and positions regarding patents in order to timely identify any potential violation of Janssen patents and in order to be able to take timely appropriate or corrective actions.
* Develop and verify respect for IP related processes and procedures, within the own department as well as within other departments (laboratory notebooks, document retention, …) in order to ensure a correct, uniform and qualitative approach to patent applications.
* At least Masters, preferably Ph.D. Degree, in life sciences-biotechnology.
* Preferably 10 years or more of experience in patent practice and passed in full the European Qualifying Exam.
* An accredited law degree (LLB or LLM) is an advantage.
* A demonstrated competency in the field of pharmaceutical drug discovery, development and commercialization is an advantage.
* High degree of independence to provide patent support to a R&D project team including providing IP advice to the business/commercial team.
* Proficient knowledge of English.
* Excellent inter-personal and communication skills allowing to relate easily at all levels within the organization, particularly to those in the R&D functions and business teams.
* Be flexible, adaptable and comfortable working within a multicultural, high-achieving company with high standards of ethics and Credo behaviour.
* Be prepared to travel as and when the occasion demands.
Janssen Pharmaceutica N.V. (7555)