Associate Director Automation - Pharmaceutical Sciences
Locations: Beerse, Belgium
Start a new job search
Apply Get Referred
Requisition ID: 1905712091W
Pharmaceutical Sciences is a department of Small Molecule Pharmaceutical Development (SMPD) within Discovery, Product Development and Supply (DPDS). Within the department resides the high throughput experimentation group, supporting multiple departments in the organization ranging from Discovery, API Development, DP Development, Analytical Development and others with high throughput experimentation requirements.
In the Pharmaceutical Sciences department in Beerse-Belgium, there is currently a full-time opening for a Senior/Principal Scientist Automation
* Designs, programs and executes high throughput experiments using both the liquid and solid handling robotic systems and automated sample preparation. Executes the analytical end points of those screens as well as the scientific interpretation of these results.
* Co-defines and executes the overall strategy for the automation lab covering (1) continuous implementation of scientific and technological advancements, (2) configuration of automated systems for preparing, processing, and testing chemically complex samples and mixtures, (3) industry benchmarking and (4) evolving strategy setting to enable an industry leading pharmaceutical sciences department responsible for developability assessments, selection of the final solid form of APIs, drug product platform screening, and material characterization and qualification for specific small molecule projects.
* Influences the design and optimization of our drug products, by actively capturing the organizational needs towards new screen development and contributing to cross-functional technical team meetings with project leaders and representatives from other departments such as API (crystallization screening) and formulation (formulation screening) development, biopharmaceutics (biorelevant screening), analytical development, discovery sciences, quality assurance, regulatory etc, for specific new development projects.
* Responsible to establish data management system, data analysis, visualization and reporting tools. Co-defines with the subject matter experts and other supporting departments, the path forward towards advanced data analytics and predictive modelling.
* Collaborates with external partners (CRO's, academia) and keeps track of innovation in the field of automation.
* Connects with, mentors and guides other scientists working in the field of automation.
* Degree in Engineering or in Sciences: Pharmaceutical, Chemistry (analytical/organic), Physics, or a related science
* 10+ years of industry experience
* Sound knowledge and experience in working with down scaled and automated high-throughput experimentation and characterization platforms, as well as adjusting/developing workflows is preferred. Knowledge of Hamilton and/or Chemspeed robotics is seen as a plus.
* Experience with database solutions, data analysis and visualization (Camo,…), advanced data analytics and/or predictive modelling is seen as a plus.
* Experience preferred in one or more of the following fields: Spectroscopy, UPLC, API solubility/crystallization/polymorph/salt formation, conventional and enabling formulations, physicochemical characterization of therapeutic candidates and computer programming.
* Interest in recent development of automation technologies
* Like to work in the lab and able to perform experiments in state-of-the-art laboratories including using automated platforms
* Strong physical and analytical chemistry background preferred, understanding broad pharmaceutical product development picture required
* Highly motivated, with excellent organizational, interpersonal, communication, and collaborative skills
* Analytical mindset is a must
* Highly effective team member/player who can work in a matrix organization to accomplish assigned tasks
* Fluent English (both spoken and written), willing to learn basics of Dutch language.
* Good English scientific writing skills.
* This position will be based out of Beerse, Belgium and may require 10 to 20 % of travel.
Janssen Pharmaceutica N.V. (7555)